Exploring Delhi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
October 17th 2017
Published: October 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

After a pleasant breakfast with more interersting fellow travellers, we set off for our guided tour of Delhi. First step was the 73m Qutub Minar built as part of the Mulgul dynasty. Our guide was firmly Hindu and NOT a fan of anything Islam so took great pains to explain it might have been mogul king but it was Hindi smarts that designed and built this amazing, striking tower. This site include various other points of interest including an ancient iron pole that never rusted. Apparently the stupid British tried to deciper the writing on it to detained how it was made, only to find the inscription was a prayer to the relevant god, not the secret ingredients for rust proof iron.

Next stop was the Jama Masque, the largest in india. It was buiilt by Shah Mahan, of the Taj Mahal fame. It was interesting to see so many families wandering around and a group of Muslim school girls looking like they were doing a school project. It was ok given it wasn't built by Hindus - according to our guide.

The trip through the nearby markets on foot and cycle rickshaw was full of all the fantastic sites and smells you might expect. Being nearly Dewali, all the shops had plenty of garlands and gifts on display and the streets were packed.

After another excellent lunch and a chance to recharge in the aircoditioned restaurant, we headed out for our final stop, Humayum's Tomb. This was built to incorporate the architectural styles of Islam and Hindi, plus a few other bits as well. Again, stunning archtiecture in beautiful grounds. The people watching at all these sites has been great too. Liz is wonderful at chatting up families with cute kids so I have to credit her with some of the best photos!

Final stop was the Claridge Hotel to use the toilets before heading out through the traffic to the train station. We are currently heading to Chandrigah, our overnight stop before Manali where we will have 4 nights, and no wifi!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



17th October 2017

Exploring Delhi
Hi Gaynor - great to have your days with you. I recall that our tour guide too was a Hindu, but whenever we visited a Muslim ‘building ‘, he had engaged another guide on site to give us the lowdown. Enjoy the next leg of your adventure! xx
9th July 2018
Qutub Minar

Qutub Minar is great place to visit,.
in Qutub Minar i visited last month. i took lots of photos. i really enjoyed that time.

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb