The Golden Triangle tour


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi » Dwarka
June 29th 2012
Published: December 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

DelhiDelhiDelhi

jama Masjid Mosque
Today we start our " Golden Triangle Tour' . We did this tour because we were strongly advised to by Lauren from STA travel. My God that was the best advice we had. Delhi is the Capital of India and has a 16million plus population. When we arrived in Delhi it was extremely hot 40C plus and really high humidity. So we appreciated the airconditioned Hotel and the Airconditioned bus that we toured in and our lovely bus driver Sanjeev. It was also very good not to have to think to much on this whirlwind tour that we were about to embark on. On this day we toured around Old and new Delhi. Delhi appear be a much more developed city than Kolkata with better roads, and some parts appeared clean and we actually did spy the odd bin! We visited Jami Masjid which is India's largest Mosque. The kids and I had to Garb up for the visit to this Muslim mosque. We visited a memorial to Mahtma Ghandi , the site where he was cremated. We witnessed some amazing buildings, structures and tombs such as the residence of the president of India and Humayun's tomb. Humayans tomb built in 1565 was a spectacular symmetrical tomb with lots of wives and others buried in it. the Mughal Emperors really went all out for their wives! Once again we were whisked off to a place where hand made knotted wool rugs were made. Well looked after with cool drinks and airconditioning we were given a demonstration of the most beautiful rugs. i ended up succumbing and purchasing a wool/ silk rug. Next stop was a Jewellery place with amazing and very expensive jewells. I loved a black bracelet made of "the Star of India", a black stone that reflects a star. $2000.00 worth! A mighty temptation that I resisted. We left Delhi and contiued our tour onto Agra. When we arrived at our accomodation in Agra we had a very interesting twilight swim in the motels pool. The lights were actually out and we entered the pool and were bombarded by bats!!!! this did not go done well with someone who suffers from Omithobia ( fear of birds). Fortunatunately the staff saw our predicament and turned on all the exterior lights which frightened off the bats. The pool was surrounded by wire which we guessed was to keep the monkeys out.
DelhiDelhiDelhi

The Presidents house
they still managed to scale the walls of the Motel and kept us entertained.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb