Manic Delhi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » Delhi
February 20th 2010
Published: February 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Delhi - quite a manic city, rickshaw weaving in and out, cattle wandering the busy highways, rubble in roads and the lovely smell of sewage! Prior to our tour we decided to try and find the market, unfortunately we got caught by a Rickshaw tout who offered to take us to Connaught Place. Our driver did not always have his eyes on the road and consequently we got slightly knocked by another rickshaw driver! However, he then followed us around all day, taking us from emporium to emporium. He was not too happy as he got no commission, as we made no purchases. We eventually got rid of him for a small fee - what a relief, and made our own way back via the clean Metro - however Nick got stuck in the ladies security queue!

Our morning city tour consisted of a visit to the Presidential palace, and the great India Gate (42m high stone memorial arch, in memory of soldiers who died in WWI). Then we visited the impressive Friday mosque - Jama Masjid (India's largest, which can hold 25,000 people), decorated in chandeliers, many pigeons perching on the dome roof, and a few young boys begging. Lastly we visited the Humayun's Tomb - built in 1570, it was the first building to be constructed during the reign of Akbar, built using beautiful red sandstone and white marble, which was used almost as a prototype for the Taj Mahal. We wandered around the beautiful formal Mughal gardens and along to the Isa Khan Tomb, built in 1547, in an octagonal pattern - an example of Lodi architecture. Lots of local boys playing cricket on the lawns just outside.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 21; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0948s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb