Quick Update as promised for the IT class of the school we went to Today


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » Delhi
November 26th 2007
Published: November 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ian being taught ITIan being taught ITIan being taught IT

...where is the enter key again..? How many people does it take to teach him to use a computer?
Today we called into the Xansa offices in Noida which is part of Delhi and met with Tarun and Manisha. Carol was really impressed with the high standards of the accomodation and particularly the creche. We then left to visit one of the schools that Steria/Xansa sponsor as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility programme. Sumi (from Srinagar!) who is a real star and works very hard to get resources for the schoolchildren took us along.



Coming from England it is difficult to describe how little the school has. It is for the poorest children who otherwise wouldn't get any education at all. Originally there were not only no school buildings (so that if it rained the schoolchilden had to go home (they sat underneath a tree for a classroom), but no toilets or clean water.


Xansa has sponsored the school along with some of Xansa's clients so that at least there are loos and some class rooms.

Even so the buildings and the school sit is barely adequate with virtually no resources except in the computer room (where clients have kindly sent their old computers to be used by the children) where a class
A Great Bunch of GuysA Great Bunch of GuysA Great Bunch of Guys

We're looking forward to all you boys sending us your comments and letting us know how you are getting on!
was being held.

The 14 year old boys (year 9) were extremely keen and excited to show us what they had saved on their desktops. Biographies of Mahatma Ghandi, Climate change information sheets, class personal information charts, all were read out to us.


There was also important information and statistics on India (did you know the national game is hockey and not cricket?) Ian, not knowing the national song of India asked the boys to sing it to us and they gave a magnificent performance.




Lots of eager young boys just longing for the opportunity to progress. Well done to their teacher for inspiring them!

We also gave out milk to other classes.




One class of girls sang a welcome song before we gave out their milk. Some highly intelligent young people only lacking an opportunity to succeed.

Exchanged email and blog addresses. Boys were threatened by Ian that he expected them to give him updates on what they had done as well as follow our progress around the globe and to send us their comments.



Well done Sumi for her vision and dogged determination to get the best for these kids.


Advertisement



26th November 2007

Amazing!
Ian, Carol, Great to keep up with your adventures....and great to be reminded of the excellent work being done in breaking the poverty cycle through supporting education in India. It is easy at this time of year to forget those children so desparate to learn and break out of the poverty all around. Keep the blogging up..... Carl and Mary
27th November 2007

Thanks a ton
Thanks a ton Ian and Carol. It is wonderful to see your involvement with the kids in the school. Simi mentioned to me about the visit and I really appreciate the time spent by both of you in our Xansa supported school. I firmly believe that such gestures from across our organisation (Xansa - Steria) make our worklife exciting and our lives so much more meaningful. Thanks you once again and have a wonderful time in India. Regards, Gayathri Mohan (Incase, you are wondering who I am!! I am responsible for CSR across Xansa India. If you are travelling to Pune(Western part of India) and Chennai (South India), do let me know.) You can have an overview of all the good work that Xansa is doing for the community.

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb