Delhi trip


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » Delhi
November 13th 2007
Published: November 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Last weekend was Diwali ( November 8 - November 11), once again I can't remember all the details about why Diwali is celebrated but I'm sure there is a website out there with all the details. I do know that it is the festival of lights and our school put on a nice performance with a great play about the celebration. People light their homes with what we would call Christmas lights, put out candles and on the day of Diwali set firecrackers and fireworks off all over the place. People walk around saying Happy Diwali which reminded me of Christmas. They also give gifts and sweets and it's the puja day of the goddess Lakshmi. You set out candles to welcome her and hope for prosperity for the rest of the year.

I went to Delhi with 2 co-workers to go see the Taj Mahal. Delhi was quite polluted but somehow I loved it, plan to return again. We stayed at a great hotel called the Hotel Aapra which was close to lots of shopping. Most of the big markets that we were interested in were closed because it was a holiday weekend but we did do a sight seeing tour by rickshaw. Plan to head out there again before I set leave the country, don't know when.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb