Maharashtra Nature Park


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai
June 20th 2010
Published: June 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Weeks back i was watching teck show on TV.. It was shot in a Nature Park known as Maharashtra Nature Park.I had never heard about it ever before.. So i thought of visiting the park today.

Its right in middle of the mumbai. Dharavi-the largest slum, is a must visit international tourist destination in mumbai and this park is right next to it. To be precise right next to Dharavi Bus Depot. It could be a worth visit for international tourist if at the right time. Meaning when the migratory birds are over there. Just check migration season before visiting the park. Locals can visit it any time. Actually its a must visit for locals cos its conduction some good environment awareness programs. Also remember unlike other parks, entry to this park is open only till 3:30 pm. Reason being this park is not like garden of flowers but is like jungle of thrones.. There are many snakes around in the park.. If u keep a chair and sit for 5 minutes you are guaranteed to see a snake.. So enjoy the trek ..

Its said that there are approx 200 species of trees, 38 species of butterflies and 80 species of birds. I was fortunate to see 4-5 types of birds and a snake just besides me vanishing in the grass.

The park has nursery where saplings of trees are grown. Park conducts various environment campaigns.. Its spread in nearly kilometer area .. i spent around an hour to walking through it and taking snaps.

The path is made out of bricks, and as i was alone and spotted a snake right in the beginning, i dint dare to deviate and get away from the main route.. There were birds in the dense trees but i dint bother chasing them.. Instead i relied on the zoom of my camera..

The park also has nicely maintained lake. You can see nests built by birds on every other tree..

I liked the way the park is maintained.. The format is really different from other parks. The park is really a home for the wild right in the middle of the city. And its designed only for birds. As this park is for the birds there is no fences other than the lake area. And there is no space to sit, other than the amphi theatre area where most of nature campaigns are conducted. So it gives enough space for the birds and animals. I hope you understand the plight of most of the play gardens and the botanical garden(human encrochment.. ocupying so much space).. This park don't have to be that way.. Its home for the birds..

This park is present there not for luxury but for the need. The fonder of the park has fought long battle of years to make this park a reality.. Park is conducting educational and environment awareness programs in the amphitheater there. I would like more and more people to visit the park awareness programs. At the same time i would not want huge heard of people encroaching the place and treating the park as leisure place..

Enjoy the pics..


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

mithi rivermithi river
mithi river

foreign birds.. they must be surprised.. they travelled 1000s of kms for months just to find the polluted river..
DSCF1250DSCF1250
DSCF1250

oh.. this is a nice place for the birds.. relief for the tired migratory birds
mithi river.. mithi river..
mithi river..

this is the river known to the migratory birds. but lot of garbage is thrown into the river


16th October 2010

A place for snake lovers
I visited the park somewhere in the month of November. In a time frame of 3 hrs I was lucky enough to spot about 8 snakes. 5 Rat Snakes, 2 Vipers and a Cobra............. Amazing experience.
7th December 2010

One day Medicinal garden visit for final Year B.Pharmacy students in Jan-2011.
Respected Sir As per curriculum of university of Mumbai, Final year B.Pharmacy students has to pursue their medicinal garden visit before completion of their academic career. We will be highly obliged, if you make necessary arrangement to show your medicinal garden on 14th of this month . Seeking your positive reply in favor of our 82 numbers of Final year students. With best regards Mandar Mulik
7th December 2010

I was just a visitor to Maharashtra Nature Park. You can also visit the park. But i dont know if it has medicinal plants. One that i remember of is a Botanical garden at Waghai near Saputara. There i had seen medicinal plants. You can visit the same too.
3rd March 2011

A few mistakes
I too have visited this park and would like to point out a few mistakes in your blog entry-- 1. It is right opp. the dharavi bus depot 2. People/Jaywalker are not allowed into the park on certain days so check that to when tourist visit. 3. you are most probably not going to see ANY snakes(pythons to be accurate) in the park within 5mins because they are generally seen on rocks during 6am-10am &12pm-1:30pm as they are cold blooded animals.
11th March 2011

Request to Share your images
Hi, We'd Like to use your images for our page on the Maharashtra Nature Park Would you be willing to share them with our as creative commons license.? Please let us know ASAP www.wcities.com/mumbai
12th April 2011

ya .. you can use
13th April 2011

More Images of Park
You can also use other images from my picasa under album MaharashtraNaturePark only. https://picasaweb.google.com/bksamrat/MaharashtraNaturePark# Let me know the images you are using.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb