India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai
December 29th 2008
Published: December 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,
We have safely arrved in Mumbai this morning after staying the night in Bandra near the airport. It was a massive day of travelling and we gained 4 hours to Singapore and another 2 hours between Singapore and Mumbai. We took some cool pictures in the butterfly enclosure at Singapore airport and enjoyed streching our legs around the amazing shops there.
In Mumbai we were met at the airport by a young guy with amazing driving technique (Arnee calls it skill) and had a extreme ride on the tail gate (or side panel) of every other vehicle on the road. Lane markers are decorative and not indicative of anything on these roads!! If there is a spare inch you can take it and everyone moves to let you in (with a lot of honking).
This morning we decided to catch the local train into Mumbai and find a new hotel closer to the action (and further from the honking traffic). We had a bit of a challenge finding the train station and ended up wandering the streets until we found someone who could point us in the right direction rather than just smiling and nodding at Arnees pointing. At the station we managed to buy our tickets for 12 Rups (about 25cents each) however the majority of the ticket was not in English so we had a dash around the station working out which platform might be ours. Somehow we managed to chose the right one and our train was running late so it arrived just as we did. We leaped into a crowded carriage and hoped it would go in the right direction. It was full of business men going to work with standing room only, I think we were the talk of the train with our backpacks and sweaty faces. We stopped off at Central station Mumbai for a look around before jumping on a second much older train to Churchgate.
At Churchgate we wandered along the Bay for a while and checked out the cricket stadium (from the outside), High Court and a range of outher amazing old buildings. It is really different to the streets we were walking this morning in Bandra.
We the walked on to the old fort area and have checked into a small hotel in one of the back streets. We have just finished our first Indian lunch in a cafe for about $4 it was a fantastic veggie Jalfarezzi and a stuffed paratha.

HAving an awesome time so far...it is magic just watching the world go by here.
Nina and Arnee


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



29th December 2008

Fully sick blankets
I love the blankets on the bed. nearly as good as Nina's smile
30th December 2008

Wow guys, looks amazing... and sounds like everything seems to be going smoothly so far... thats awesome!!! Aussies lost the second test to South Africa... so SA have now won the series... first time they have EVER won a series in Australia.... i know this is boring you Nina, but Arnee needs to know!! Take care both of you...hope all is going well... its very hot here...how is it there?
31st December 2008

Thanks for the update, no one here has said anything yet. Its hot here but will be cooler when we head north.
1st January 2009

asmacdowell@gmail.com
good stuff guys. looks like fun.
8th January 2009

Bwhahahaaa! Yeah right it's skill, last time Arnee thought he had skill he ended up trashing someones car, who's was it again?
8th January 2009

Sick street art! You can't stop it it's everywhere you go, make sure you try to at least get a few tags up bro, even better, carve your name in a tree, just don't get caught!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb