day 123


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai
October 5th 2008
Published: October 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello my dear friends and aquaintances!

So... the first real entry. Well I've got good and bad news. bad news first: I forgot my memory cards for the camera at home. I'm gna try to buy one or two tomorrow! Today, I saw huuuuge bats in front of our office building chilling in the palm trees, one shat on me. haha just kidding :p ... more bad news: i cant access facebook from work and have no internet at home so i cant read any of ur messages or alike... it feels weird being cut off from the internet world haha! So now I'm sitting at home writing this note-thingy and planning on copy/pasting it once i get to the office on Monday! maybe i can do this every day now... haven't got a lot to do after work atm, am still not that acquainted with the area so i cant just move around!
Let me describe the first few days:
1. Left my apartment in Berlin at 14:00 and it was raining well bad.. took ages to get to the airport, but wasn't a problem as i knew that i was gna be in a plane for ages. Took the plane from Berlin to Munich: Munich airport is okay, horrible that everyone speaks Bavarian though.. i felt well out of place! In Munich they have these weird 'smokers boxes': basically a glass cubicle with 20 people in there smoking, it is horrible and disgusting and i just entered and stayed for a cig because i knew that i wouldn't be able to smoke for 7:45 hours! so then the flight with Lufthansa from Munich to Mumbai! wasn't problematic at all... watched a bollywood film (bootnath) and slept and yeah. was kool. I arrived at 6:30 in the morning and exchanged some money and got picked up and was brought to the companies guest house! Dahya lives here more or less, Daya is the caretaker - he cooks for me, cleans the ashtrays, takes me on walks around the area, brings me drinks, cuts my apples etc. well good service! he is an amazing chef as well!
2. I went into the office and met my bosses - all very nice and chilled guys.. on the first day i looked through the company and HR guidelines and was introduced to staff etc! on my way home i had my first autorickshaw ride... it is very very cool to drive through crazy Mumbai in a rickshaw, the only downside: 1 ride with the rickshaw = 300 days of smoking. or at least i feel that way!
3. Today was extremely exciting! went out of the house and organised my own rickshaw and it took me without any problems to the office .. there i saw some bats hanging in the trees while i was having my morning cig and i went into the office. There is a Hindu holiday (diwali) coming up and i accompanied my bosses to buy presents for the employees. The driver took us to the main bosses house which he showed to me, a very traditional and beautiful house, i got to meet his mother, cook and dog 😊 everyone is really really friendly here! after that, we checked out a proper Indian bazaar. WOWWOWOWOWOWOWWW!!! so many people! Then, the haggling began, i just stood by and watched the skillful haggling of my bosses and the shop vendors.. for the presents we went to at least 20 dif shops! it was rly nice to see the diversity of this city: Muslims, Hindus, Jains, everyone in every colour. i cant describe it... pictures will follow soon!!! it was amazing driving through the streets - the horn is the most used tool in this society i think - and watching everyone going by... you get the Mercedes on the street as well as shitloads of taxis and horse/oxen wagons and rickshaws and people transporters and busses and and and - the diversity of transportation here is quite cool! oh yes, we did 2 more things before we went to the bazaar: 1. we went to the leather bazaar to check out wallets and i got one as a gift :D its v v v pretty. then we went to a typical southern Indian restaurant. i was a bit intimidated, because i got my meal on a palm leaf and i had to eat it with my hands! obviously i was way slower than my bosses but i enjoyed it a lot 😊 i think the Indians in the restaurant had a blast watching me eat and fail at the same time! but i am sure i will get better at eating with my hands in time. so the bazaar. on the way home it started raining as hell and there was a motorcycle accident on the other side of the street and everyone was looking for cover - except for us as we were in the company car - and then there was lightening. looked extremely cool...! as i had my laptop in the office, we drove back there so i could pick it up and then take a rickshaw back home... i wrote down the address and so on, got it translated and bla. So i got a rickshaw and the driver said that he knew where we were going... hell he did not. he took me out of the area where i lie until - at 50 rupees - i asked him where he was taking me and why we weren't in andheri west (my area) anymore. he looked at me. very confused. sighed. turned around. drove me back. then he asked for directions and as no one knew the directions he dropped me off and told me i should take another rickshaw. cost me 70 rupees. =/ . a rly nice guy helped me to get another rickshaw and asked that driver whether he knew the address and so on... the driver said he did. 5 minutes later the driver stopped and asked where the address was. yay. after a while he got lost so i took the initiative and asked the people and pointed the driver in the right direction. he still didn't know where we were going so he just dropped me off on the street where my building is at. As he didn't have change for the 100 rupee bill, i had to go to a shop and change it... as i was so stressed trying to find my house (i had no fucking clue) i just started walking down the street and didn't notice that the driver (through luck/by accident) had dropped me off in front of my housing complex. Well everything looks different at night. so i walked and walked and walked. asked shitloads of people, no one had a clue.. so i was asking for a famous shoe shop which was supposed to be close to my appartment (bon bon shoe store) - and the people i asked confirmed that it was a famous landmark. well... i walked around the block about 4 times and didn't recognise anything. so i started accepting that i was lost. i smoked my last cigarette and prepared to die. no, not really.. after about an hour walking around i saw a shop which i recognised and then i actually met a person who tried to help me find my way before and he grinned and told me that ive been walking in circles, would he have told me that 10 minutes earlier, i wouldve freaked out... but as i was on the right way i smiled and told him that i would see him around, which i probably will since he has a fruit/veg stand in my street.Yeah then i came home and here i am... im gna write more tomorrow and i hope that there will be more adventures to come. now off to bed! nightey night!

Mumbai soundtrack so far:
The Bravery - Every word is a knife
Hot Chip - Over and Over
Nightwish - The Carpenter

Nun für eine schnelle deutsche zusammenfassung:
Aaaaaalso: bin am 2ten oktober in berlin los.. hat gepisst wie sau!! war leicht stressig 😞 von bärlin gings dann ab nach münchen und da hab ich mich in so ne eklige raucherlounge gewagt.. ein kleiner gläserner raum mit 20 rauchern drin. war sau sau eklig. wirklich. bäh. aber da ich wusste das ich die nächsten 8 stunden nicht rauchen konnte war das dann doch okay. haha. bin dann hier angekommen und wurd abgeholt - recht cool: da stand einer mit nem schild und meinem namen und der hat mich dann in mein appartment in andheri west gefahren! dort hat mich dahya in empfang genommen... er ist mein 'caretaker' dh er räumt auf, kocht für mich, bringt mir getränke, macht die aschenbecher sauber, wäscht usw... zieml cool und relaxxt! er ist einer der nettesten leute die ich jeh getroffen hab, aber das liegt wohl auch daran das es sein job ist :p .. achja, er ist ein sau sau guter koch! Daya hat mich dann noch ein bischen durchs viertel geführt, lauter strassenhunde, krähen, falken, ochsen, kühe usw usw. (sogar eine katze hab ich gesehen: die sollen hier recht selten sein).
Am nächstem tag bin ich dann ins office und hab die bosse getroffen, alle sind obernett und zuvorkommend, machen gern witze und sind ober rücksichtsvoll. Am ersten tag hab ich mich dann in die personalabteilungsrichtlinien und firmenrichtlinien eingearbeitet, sehr gut geleitet die firma :D am abend bin ich dann vom office mit der autoriksha nach hause gefahren... durch den verrückten verkehr von mumbai: jeder hupt, jeder fährt links rechts wo wie wann er will usw. aber ich denke mal das die rikscha fahrer wissen was sie tun und daher hab ich keinen schiss 😊 als ich nach hause gekommen bin war ich zieml fertig da ich jeden tag um 6:30 aufstehe (mal was ganz neues für mich) und joa hab bissl gechillt und gepennt!
Dann der dritte tag. ich hab so viel gesehen... bin am morgen problemlos mit der rickscha ins bureau gefahren und da haben mir meine bosse gesagt das ich doch bitte mit ihnen kommen soll und helfen soll geschenke für meine mitarbeiter mitkaufen soll, da es hier jetzt ein grosses hindifest gibt (diwali) und es steht im vertrag das die firma allen angestellten etwas schenkt 😊 also sind wir in den firmenwagen gestiegen und sind losgefahren. erst hat mir mein oberboss sein haus gezeigt und seine mutter vorgestellt damit ich weiss wie man in indien so lebt ... war echt super. Dann sind wir in ein ledergeschäft gefahren da sie dort etwas für die angestellten kaufen wollten und ich bin immer mit.. mir haben sie ein tolles porte de monnaie geschenkt.. sehr schick in rot/schwarzem leder! von da aus sind wir durch den verrückten mumbai verkehr ins zentrum gefahren: es ist echt immens, man sieht hier alles vom mercedes über millionen taxis (alter fiats, mit alt meine ich bj '68) und lauter rikschas und sogar ochsenkarren usw! Von dort aus sind wir über den city highway gen stadtzentrum gefahren da wir auf einen basar wollten, aber vorher: essen: Wir waren in einem typisch südindischem resto der brahmanenkaste (priesterkaste). Ich war leicht eingeschüchtert da ich mein essen auf einem palmenblatt gekriegt hab (ich hätte auch eins auf nem teller haben können, aber jeh authentischer desto besser) und dann musste ich mit der hand essen: erstmal gabs versch currys und brot dazu, das brot musste man abreissen und wie ne zange um die currys machen und dann eben essen 😊 danach gabs reis. curry in die hand nehmen, auf den reis draufhaun und mischen und essen - ich finde das ich es ganz gut geschafft habe aber zu langsam gegessen - meine vorgesetzten waren viel schneller als ich. dort gabs auch leckeres lhassi (buttermilch) und noch viel anderes .. habs echt sehr genossen. Von da aus gings zum basar denn dort wollten sie alles einkaufen.. wir sind zu süssigkeitenshops, nusshops, schreibwarenläden usw gegangen und ich habe über das talent meiner vorgesetzten gestaunt zu verhandeln. der basar war so voll ... voller hindus muslime jains.. voller farben. es war echt geil. es gab so viel zu sehen. ich hab echt spass gehabt... war aber sau heiss - war ja schliesslich mit hemd untertshirt und unbequemen schuhen unterwegs da es arbeitskleidung war. leider hab ich meine memory karten für die kamera vergessen... gehe aber gleich neue kaufen! Da ich meinen laptop im office hatte haben sie mich ins office gebracht und ich sollte ne rikscha nach hause nehmen... wollte ich auch. also hab ich mir ne rikscha geholt und der fahrer hat mir versichert das er wohl wissen würde wie er zu mir kommt... also färt er los: er fährt und fährt und fährt und irgendwann frag ich ihn 'sry wir sind noch in andheri west oder??' und er so 'ääähm' hat geseufzt, angehalten und umgedreht. er hat mich dann in irgendeine gegend in andheri gebracht und mich rausgeworfen mit dem argument das er keine ahnung hat wo ich hin will. zum glück hat mir dann einer geholfen ne neue rikscha zu finden .. der fahrer hat mir versichert das er weiss wo ich hin muss. bullshit haha!!! irgendwann fährt er rüber und fragt leute nach der adresse... als er dann ziellos rumgefahren ist hab ich die intitiative ergriffen und selbst leute gefragt und dem fahrer gesagt wo wir lang müssen. irgendwann wurds mir zu bunt und ich bin ausgestiegen. lost in mumbai. zumindest war ich auf der richtigen strasse... da der fahrer kein wechselgeld für meinen 100 rupien schein hatte musste ich zu nem laden gehen und wechseln... da es nachts war (und nachts sieht alles anders aus) hab ich nicht gemerkt das er mich durch glück sogar direkt vor meine hochhauskomplexdingsbums abgesetzt hatte.. auch wegen dem stress das ich wohl nie mein appartment finden würde. naja dann bin ich einfach losmarschiert, hab paar leute gefragt und bin ca ne stunde durch die pampa marschiert - war alles sehr interessant usw. irgendwann komm ich dann an ne ecke und ich denk mir so 'ah!!! endlich! das kennst du doch' und ich kannte es wirklich.. bin dann losgelatscht und aufeinmal spricht mich so ein netter kerl an und meint 'wie? du schon wieder? hast mich doch schon vor 30 minuten nach dem weg gefragt!' hätte er mir das früher gesagt hätt ich wohl angefangen zu heulen, aber da ich wusste wo ich war hab ich nur gegrinst und gemeint das ich ein dummer tourist bin und ihn wohl bald nochmal sehen werde da er einen frucht und gemüsestand hier in der gegend hat! (btw die früchte hier sind so lecker, billig und riesig! alles natürlich natürlich :p) joa dann bin ich nach hause und hab gepennt und mein erstes indisches bier (kingfisher) getrunken - sehr lecker aber mal wieder teuer..!
leider hab ich kein internet zu hause und kann nicht auf facebook oder sonst was wenn ich bei der arbeit bin, dh ich schreib ab jetzt zu hause und lad es bei der arbeit oder im internetcafe hoch! oben noch meine bisherige mumbai playlist! 😊))) bis dann - tim


Advertisement



5th October 2008

That all sounds pretty amazing! I've been in those airport smoker-rooms before, they may as well just have signs up that say "you are horrible disgusting smokers, we are bannishing you to this room!". I was reading the other say that India has banned smoking in public places... is it enforced much, or is it similar to the UK? I've always wanted to experience Diwali in India, i'm sure that'll be awesome. =] xx
5th October 2008

Alter schwede, das ist ja ne komplett andere Welt! Kann mir gar vorstellen wie es dort bei dir aussschaut. Dass da einfach so krähen, falken, ochsen, kühe auf der Straße rumlaufen.. :o Wieso hast du denn überhaupt einen Diener? Dein König sein ist vorbei dachte ich :D. Ich bin gespannt wies weitergeht! Gruß Max
6th October 2008

@ Karin: neeee leider noch keine elefanten gesehen:(( aber ich trag ein elefantenhaararmband aus kenia :p ja hab mir jetzt gestern memory karten (lölöl) gekauft und kann ab jetzt fotos machen!! @ jenny: exactly!!! thats what i thaught! and the air is horrible in there... they should get stronger ACs or just make smoking legal anywhere haha. Actually the smoking ban is enforced.. i have to leav the office grounds to smoke and hide behind a tree.. cant smoke in restaurants, cant drink on the streets.. cant smoke anywhere! There are anti-smoking activists running around and forcing people to pay fines n stuff.. at least thats what ive read in the newspapers (mumbai times, india times) @ max: ja man! gestern hab ich ohne scheiss aus meinem fenster gesehen wie so ein fetter falke/adler vögel gejagt hat.. das vieh war 5 meter von mir entfernt.. echt fett! Ja ich wohne in so nem guest house und da hat die firma halt so nen caretaker angestellt, da kommen noch andere firmengäste ... insgesamt hat das appartment 3 zimmer (2 schlafzimmer und 1 wohnzimmer) und ich hab ab und zu mal nen roommate fürn paar tage hehe!
6th October 2008

tim hat nen diener...na wenn das mal gut geht :D scheint ja genial zu sein, bin schon gespannt auf photos!!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb