Bombay Calling


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai
March 10th 2007
Published: March 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So here we are safe and sound in Mumbai! We arrived via Heathrow with very little sleep at 11:30am yesterday. The airport at Mumbai is quite modern and clean, no big surprises first out of the gate. We wandered through long hallways under construction, smelling similar to any tropical location, a slight mildew smell from the humidity and air conditioning. We went thru immigration hassle free and then had our bags x-rayed as we left the airport…a little odd since they had just been on the plane with us?!?

We walked out and looked for a man that was to greet us from the airport with my Mom’s name for the hotel. Sure enough there he was we were escorted outside to the parking lot to our driver. My first taste of a Bombay street child, who followed me repeating the phrase “one English coin, please” “one English coin, please”, until the driver closed the door and we were on our way to 5 star luxury.

On the drive, a row of old Rickshaws and taxi’s awaiting their next fare’, a small community living on the streets, and loads of honking and traffic. It all seems pretty good so
In TransitIn TransitIn Transit

Zero sleep 24 hours and counting
far, I think my exposure to Africa and other third world countries prepared me well for this.

We arrived at the Sheraton and could not believe our eyes this hotel is by far the grandest I have ever stayed in. I suppose one could compare it to something in Vegas, but much more tasteful. The art and design is unbelievable. We have a platinum card that upgrades us the floors called the “Upper Crust”; I can just picture the type of people who have stayed here.

We decided to have a look at the wellness centre and pool after we dropped off our bags in our beautiful room. The spa area is beautiful; we thought a massage was in order. Little did we know what we had signed up for! OUCH! Double OUCH! Kind of wanted to relax, but the knots were removed and a sound sleep followed.

Today we awoke rested and spoiled imagining going from this to the Ashram is a little hard to wrap your head around. We love every moment that we have here.

The free breakfast was 5 star, both buffet and a la carte, fresh juices and our first shooter in India….spinach and mint, a wee bit earthy but not bad.

With full bellies we set out to the bizarre to shop for cotton clothes and to have a look around. We hired a rickshaw from the front of the hotel and set out with a map given to us by one of the kind girls at reception. The ride was a hoot. Yes India is an assault on the senses, but not in the way I expected. I was loving it! It was great to be in crazy traffic, the heat - and holy rickshaws batman….it is like New York, not yellow taxi’s but rickshaws. Honk, Honk, Honk…..I don’t think I have ever heard so many horns going off. My brother-in-law coins it organized ciaos, and I would have to agree, I did not see a set of traffic lights that worked, but everyone was doing just fine with their horns.

We stopped for directions a few times so our driver felt confident that we would be dropped in the right location. We got out and began to wander….spot the whitie is not even a game that can be played when there are only two of you! We felt safer that I would feel walking down Davie St. in Vancouver at night. Loads of staring eyes and very little begging, we had been directed to a shopping area for locals. We walked into a few shops and bought our selves cotton suits and a pair of sandals. We brought fruit from the hotel and gave it away to the few beggars that we came across while our rickshaw was stopped in traffic. Here are some pictures of our adventure so far.

Lots of love,

Sara








Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

MumbaiMumbai
Mumbai

Our room


10th March 2007

Looks like a great start!
Hi Sara and Sara's mom. Looks like you guys are off to a great start! Have a wondrous journey! Marty
10th March 2007

thank you
Amazing, thank you to include me in your journey. It is so special. Warm Regards, Nicole
10th March 2007

Oya !
Dear Sara.............looks like you guys are in for a fantastically cultural experience. careful of the steaming sidewalk 'diveds'. Keep the pics and comments coming..........very exciting to see what you are up to as you go. Take care, Mike
11th March 2007

Enjoy the Adventure
Hi Sara and Maureen Looks like Mumbai is quite the adventure! I hope you two survive slumming it at the Sheraton. It looks rough!!!!
12th March 2007

wow it already seems awsome and youve only just began I am so happy for the two of you that you have gotten this oppurtunity I am glad to here you both are safe and happy and i know the rest of you adventure will be unreal love you lots love jacks
12th March 2007

Wonderful!
Hey...looks like you are off to a good start! Thanks for the pics...definitely makes it on my list of places to visit! Keep them coming! Love, C.

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb