Visiting Daulatabad with broken chappal!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Aurangabad
September 5th 2007
Published: November 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Since I have been eager to visit forts, ancient ruins and fort-like places, I could not remain in the guest house today. Visiting Daulatabad was not even a pre-planned trip, therefore we had to catch a local bus to Daulatabad. A couple of guys suggested that we should take a horse-cart but we felt that it was not a safe mode of transport here. The bus fare is much cheaper than a ride on a horse-cart. We get into an empty bus which left only taking a lot more passengers. After an hour bus journey, we were dropped by the fort gate.

We spent inside the fort almost three to four hours. We finally felt that we were tired of forts and fort-like places so we went to catch a bus back to the guest house. We were failed to stop a single bus from where we stood. Once I almost jumped in the middle of the road but it was in vain. These guys were not helpful. We were entertaining those who surrounding us.

To avoid the humiliation, we walked to the nearest police station. We were mobbed by a group of police men who were so happy to stop a flying bus for us. It was kind of them, that we managed to get back to our guest house at a reasonable time. I was supposed to get Nanu's sandals repair by the time we arrived. The first shoe repair refused to put a couple of stitches to it, so I had to take them to an old man who was having a small plastic sheet laid in front of him with a couple of broken chappals. Some of them are not even possible to wear having under gone a systematic repair work. Anyway he was happy to put some stitches on the broken chappal. I was victoriously return back to local restaurant where Nanu was sitting.

Today is the last day in Aurangabad. We have planned to go to the North via Ahamedabad.

Background - Daulatabad means “City of Prosperity”, is a 14th century fort city in Maharashtra. The place, was once as known as Deogiri, (circa the sixth century AD, when it was an important uplands city along caravan routes and is now but a village, based around the former city of the same name. Starting 1327, it famously remained the capital of Tughlaq dynasty, under Muhammad bin Tughluq (r. 1325-1351), who also changed its name, and forcibly moved the entire population of Delhi here, for two years, before it was abandoned due to lack to water.



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.332s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 20; qc: 102; dbt: 0.2434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb