Khultabad - The Last Resting Place of Aurangzeb


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Aurangabad
September 4th 2007
Published: November 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We hired a rickshaw to visit this isolated place not many people came across. The auto rickshaw stopped by the side of busy road. We were signalled to follow a little road. This little road runs into a small gate & then to a huge courtyard consists of a water tank and a mosque. The next entrance leads to almost neglected tomb which housed one of the most controversial Mughal Emperors Aurangzeb. At the time of our arrival, most of Muslim people are getting ready for the evening prayer. It was a perfect time for us to walk around the courtyard and surrounding mosque.

Our self proclaimed wonderful guide decided to abandon us as soon as he heard the Imam's call. What follows below is some collective information from a nearby perfume seller and a bit of our knowledge. To be honest, we were fairly happy to be ourselves with the lonely tomb of Aurangzeb.

Background- Khultabad the resting place of Aurangzeb. Khuldabad is a city and a municipal council in Aurangabad district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. Initially it was known as Rauza meaning garden of paradise. It is known as the Valley of Saints, or the Abode of Eternity, because in the 14th century, several Sufi saints of the Chishti order, chose to reside here. The dargah of Shaikh Burhan ud-din Gharib Chisti along with the tomb of the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb and his trusted general Qamar-ud-din Khan, Asaf Jah I are located in this town.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



5th November 2009

Aurangzeb but chose to be burried next to the pak saint adored by him
Moghal Emperor Aurangzeb chose to be burried next to his adored Saint at Khultabad. No where in the world trees are planted on the tomb, but they are on the top of Aurangzeb's tomb. I asked why and I was told that they give coolness to the soul. Aurangzeb preferred to be burried under the open sky. The first Nizam is also buried in the complex. Khultabad is considered as paradise on Earth. It is primarily famous for that among the surrounding Muslims.
21st November 2010
Aurangzeb's tomb - Khultabad

good
awesome photography

Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 102; dbt: 0.1286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb