Diwali Celebrations


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Amravati
October 22nd 2006
Published: October 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

RangoliRangoliRangoli

The rangoli that my sister Aditi drew outside the home. It ended up raining in the afternoon, so we had to do it all over again in the evening. Lots of fun!
HAPPY DIWALI!

Here in India the festival of Diwali is in full swing. I am enjoying all of the celebrations so much! For those of you who are not familiar with Diwali, it is a major Hindu festival. Known as the "Festival of Lights," it symbolises the victory of good over evil, and lamps are lit as a sign of celebration and hope for mankind. Yesterday was the third and most important day. During the night we lit small lamps and had the Lakshmi Puja in the home. During this day almost everyone wears new clothes. For the night I wore a pink sari that my host mother gave to me as a gift. For the meal everything except for the vegetable is prepared in earthen pots. Many sweets are prepared in the home and shared with those who visit. All over the city many people light crackers and fireworks in excess. My host brother Raju and all of his friends came over and lit tons of crackers... there was smoke all over the place! The whole city was filled with the noises of fireworks late into the night.
Well, I hope all of you are doing well! I miss
Aditi and MeAditi and MeAditi and Me

My host sister, Aditi, and I wearing saris for Diwali.
you all a lot.

Kaia


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Crackers!Crackers!
Crackers!

Shweta and me lighting crackers on the street at night.
Lakshmi PujaLakshmi Puja
Lakshmi Puja

Raju and my host mother in the small prayer room in the home performing the Lakshmi Puja.


22nd October 2006

so great to hear from you
You look soooo beautiful in your new sari! Holly's been asking about you, so has Cleo. Diwali looks like a lot of fun. We love you Kaia!!!!
22nd October 2006

Beautiful!
Dear Kaia, Thanks for sharing the photos and the brief description of Diwali. You look truly stunning in the sari. What a wonderful host of memories you are gathering during this special time. Enjoy all of the festivities--and the great adventures that await in November with your travels through the great land of India. Karin
25th October 2006

wow kaia that sari is sooo beautiful. we miss you like crazy!!! i hope everything is going well!!

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0772s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb