Alibag-Kihim


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Alibag
March 2nd 2009
Published: March 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Gateway of IndiaGateway of IndiaGateway of India

View of the Taj from the ferry taken at Gateway of India
On the last weekend of February, Afshan and I decided to go to Alibag. Needed a break from the noise, crowd and pollution of Mumbai. Since we were not keen to traveling too far, we were looking at options close to Mumbai itself. After a lot of surfing and contemplation we finally short-listed on Alibag. It was a last minute plan and we decided to travel to Alibag even without reservations there. We knew we'd figure out something once we reached. Also none of the options of the internet looked too promising and we dint want to pay for something we dint like.

Alibag is a coastal town and a municipal council in Raigad District in the Konkan region of Maharashtra. It is situated 35 km south of Mumbai and was developed in the 17th century by Chhatrapati Shivaji's naval chief Kanhoji Angre. The fastest way to travel to Alibag from Mumbai is by taking the ferry service available from Gateway of India.

After spending half of Friday night at Aurus and the other half in Bling drinking away to glory, I only managed to open my eyes at well after the sun rose on Saturday morning. A cab
Ivory ResortIvory ResortIvory Resort

Afshan outside our Tent - all happy that we finally reached!
from Parel took us straight to Gateway of India towards the Catamaran booking stall from where we had to buy tickets to Mandawa. Mandawa is situated about 20 km north of Alibag.

Our travel to Alibag was a bitter-sweet experience. It was like I'd gotten off the wrong side of the bed. We bought tickets for the journey at noon from a Catamaran operator called 'Maldhar' for the ferry at 1:15 pm. After waiting at Gateway of India in the hot scorching sun amidst hundred other people who all wanted to reach Mandawa and getting pushed by veteran-ferry-travelers from all directions, the boat took off without us!! I was appalled, I could not believe that after waiting for 30 mins in the line, people just pushed us behind and got a place on board to travel.

So, then we had to go back to the ticket counter - which is a 5 minute walk in the heat - and have a fight with that ticket booking guy to get a refund. Luckily there were a whole lot of people stranded along with Yogesh. Yogesh whom I have to mention in my blog because he is unforgettable - he
Kihim BeachKihim BeachKihim Beach

The sunset at the beach in Kihim
actually travels frequently to Alibag and figured out that we could buy tickets from another ferry guy - Ajanta - for the 2:00 pm ferry. This was a smaller launch and took longer to reach Mandhwa but then we dint have much of a choice. Again we stood in the heat till 2 and waited for our ferry. Btw, the temperature in Mumbai that day was 38 degree Celsius.

Once the ferry arrived we were informed that ours was No4, which meant that we have to travel from Ferry 1 to Ferry 2 to Ferry 3 to Ferry 4 to get onboard. Not my idea of a relaxing weekend!! Luckily we got tips on how to push our way and we soon were in the ferry and sat on top so that we got a better view. Since the ferry was covered, we dint get too much sun but got lots of the sea breeze.

Well, the best part of this ride was Yogesh. For him Alibag was like home and he was so kind, helpful and generous. He helped us buy tickets from the Ajanta ferry, he gave us travel tips, took pictures for us and helped
Mumbai SkylineMumbai SkylineMumbai Skyline

Mumbai looks beautiful like this!
us find an amazing resort right on the beach. He even told us where we need to sit on the ferry to experience the least turbulence. Later he told us a lot about Alibag and Kihim. For us, he was God send - telling us what we would need on our return journey, names of good food joints. He also told us where we could get chocolate ice-cream! Now, God needs to make more nice men like that.

Well, once we reached Yogesh helped us find a Auto to take us to Kihim. Then the next best thing - the auto gets a puncture within ten minutes after we started driving towards Kihim. Then the Auto guy made us get off while he fixed the tire and we sweated on the road - but yeah, it was less hot than Bombay. After that it was almost 4ish and we were starving, so we asked him to take us to some place to grab a bite. After our first meal of local sea food we stepped out and by then our Auto guy had lost his Auto keys. Another 15 mins gone in locating them in vain, so he finally
Babe on the BeachBabe on the BeachBabe on the Beach

Afshan on the beach against the light while the sun sets
just started it with the hotel guys help. Praise the Lord for that!

Yogesh had suggested Beach Tents and so we reached Ivory Resorts. Ivory Resort is a boutique resort with air-conditioned tents. The resort is done up amongst huge coconut trees right on the beach with hammocks tied between the trees and a restaurant in the open overlooking the sea. The tents were large with cozy beds, a wardrobe, running water and showers! The resort had such a soothing effect on us. It was then a perfect getaway right into nature.

We relaxed the entire weekend, sun bathing, going to the beach for a swim - something I avoided - as I was not convinced that the water is very clean. It was a perfect spot to enjoy the sun, sand and sea. Kihim is a peaceful little beach with scenic charm squeezed between the sea and the glistening sands, swaying coconut palms, and ultra fresh seafood. The view is captivating, the peaceful & quiet atmosphere makes it an ideal place to unwind over the weekend.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Afshan and IAfshan and I
Afshan and I

Afshan and I on the beach in the morning
Coconut TreesCoconut Trees
Coconut Trees

The trees at the resort
MandhwaMandhwa
Mandhwa

Afshan at Mandhwa Beach
Sun SetSun Set
Sun Set

The sun set against the Mumbai Skyline on our way back home


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb