Alibaug


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Alibag
January 18th 2009
Published: April 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


A weekend is all you need to experience this simple beach near Mumbai , Alibaug !! Now commercially established, it is crowded on national holidays and festivals.

Specialities :
*The Kolaba fort
*Fresh catch of fish/prawns/crab
*Sunsets

Our Itinerary was quite simple - eat- sleep- sunset-fort-eat and sleep.

The Kolaba Fort is located 1 km through Alibag beach. Angre Sarkar, a Maratha warrior with Shivaji started the construction of this sea fort in 1680 AD. The fort is known to be 900 feet long, 350 feet wide and has 25-foot-high walls which have 17 bastions (Burj) on all sides. The fort has been standing with pride for over 300 years.
The fort can not be accessed during high tide. The huge arc entry tigers, peacocks, elephants carved on it. Beyond just another small door. Beside the door that are sanctuaries of Mahishasura and Padmavathi, Kanifnath, Sri Ganesh and high-divinity.

Then comes the southern gate which is variously known as Daria / Yeshwant Darwaja. Raghoji Angre built a beautiful temple of Shri Ganesh in front of freshwater reservoir in 1759. The Inner Sanctum sanctorum includes images of Sri Devi Ashtabhuja, Shiv, Vishnu, Surya. The collection of the pantheon gives the name "Shri Ganesh Panchayatan."

In the premises, you will also find a well and a reservoir of fresh water. I wonder how did they create it in the middle of a salty sea! On one of the bastions 17, two guns intact can be seen. The make and assembly date is clearly visible on the rusted iron Canon, bring history to life..!

There isn’t much to do in the town, its like any commercial town around.

I suggest :
* visit Nagao beach nearby (an auto could take around 100 rupees and drive you to & fro)
*don’t miss the early morning 6am fish market, a very exciting and energetic everyday event.
*eat loads of fried fish, tender coconut and typical maharastrian thali.
*capture the picturesque sunsets and relax !

Stay :
Preferably Sunglow Resorts. Its actually ON the beach and faces the Sea.

Have a nice time…njoy my pics !



Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb