Bandhavgarh


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Madhya Pradesh » Bandhavgarh NP
May 1st 2012
Published: May 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


It was our long awaited plan to visit wildlife. What will be the better version to choose a tiger reserve to keep our enthu high. So we have chosen to visit the Tiger reserve park, with the highest density of the great Royal Bengal Tigers in the world, i.e. Bandhavgarh National Park.

We have been planning this trip for quite a long time. We have done many background studies also by reading other blogs, reading about the tigers over there, photo blogs etc. In fact the available blogs are so interesting they will double your urge to visit here. From blogs and listening to others experiences we understand that the best time for sighting tigers is the summer, when it is less difficult to spot them because quite often they come to the waterholes for the scorching heat. So we have chosen the time of April end.

We have started our background preparation by searching for a good resort in the internet. We were lucky to get one, who has also made us an itinerary according to our budget plan. So we have finalized our resort as Green Woods Resort. We made our train reservations also two months before our date of journey.

Now it is 30th April'12 and we are a group of four (Me, Abhimanyu, Manoj, Gourav) are all ready for a great trip. Among our group it will be the first wildlife experience, obvious reason for our excitement. For Dabang (Gourav), it will be the hat trick experience as he has visited two more national parks this year only. For Manoj, who had some bizarre experience of being hit by a rhino, is desperate to have some better experience.

We started for Dadar Station to catch the Dadar-Varanasi Exp from our flat. We had waitlisted tickets, we have approached a travel agent also, and who gave us confirmation that he will confirm our tickets. We reached station, by the time reservation chart was prepared and our tickets freezed in waiting lists only. We were so heartbroken and irritated. Whatever it was 12-30 midnight and the train will start at 12-35. Suddenly Gourav jumped on his feet and told us that enough is enough, if we have come to the station we will go also. But it was too short time to make him understand what will happen next, so we also decided to lets board the train first, after that we will see. We managed the attendant of the AC compartment and the TT. But the situation worsened when the TT came to know that we do not have even a paper ticket of general class, and basically we are travelling without any ticket. It was 3-30 a.m. in the night. The train reached Igatpuri station, TT has advised us to go down and make four general tickets, so that he will try to do something afterward. The train stopped at the station for 15-20 minutes, which was enough for Abhimanyu and Gourav to rush to the ticket counter at other platform, wake up the staff, to make the tickets and come back. TT has provided us two seats for four, for the night. God bless him. Next day morning a new TT has boarded and he has given us four berths in sleeper class. But believe me it was an experience to travel in sleeper class of any Varanasi bound train, moreover in the heats of Nagpur and MP. It will make you feel you are seating inside an overcrowded oven.

We adapted quite well to all these adverse situation and a tremendous smile of relief came to all of our places when we reached KATNI, and could find out a brand new white Xylo waiting for us. Our driver Deepak, took us to a tea stall, where we had refreshing tea and some namkeens. The journey from Katni to our resort at Bandhavgarh, took around 3 hrs. The last 15-20 kms driving was amidst the jungle paths, the roads were broke, and too dark as it was already 10 p.m., suddenly a Nilgai jumped on the road, just in front of our car, and after some confusion crossed the road. Our jungle experiences have started its account.

We reached the resort at around 10-45 pm, but the staffs were all ready to welcome us. We were greeted with warm hospitality and welcome drink. The room was awesome. It was much much better than we expected, specially was a huge sense of comfort after the tiresome journey. We took a good bath and got ready for dinner. Dinner was too good. While coming to the resort our driver told us that we are going to get one of the best foods in Bandhavgarh in our resort, and it was so true.

We woke up early nest morning. Our Gypsy driver Manojkumar was right there at 5 am waiting for us. Though it was April, the morning temperature was quite low. We first rushed to the booking centre at Tala, we have pre-booked the safari for Magdhi zone. The guide will be provided by the jungle authority. If you want to choose a guide of your choice an extra cost of 200/- will be cost.

As usual right from the start of our safari, the main objective was to spot the beast (especially for our guide). We told our guide that we are interested in other animals also, but he hardly gave an ear to that. The first point we visited was Chargers Point. It was very emotional feeling, after reading so much about the most beloved male tiger of Bandhavgarh, Charger, to visit the point where he was buried after his death at 2000. Then we moved quickly to a waterhole, as we spotted some fresh pugmarks on the way, hoping that the tiger will come there. But alas, a group of 8-9 gypsies waited for around 40 mins, but no sights of tiger was there. Feeling enough time have been wasted our driver Manojkumar speeded the gypsy in the interior part, he was very experienced. On the way we have seen Chitals, Barking Deers, Wild Boars, Peacocks many beautiful birds etc. We did hear some calls from barking deers and monkeys. We stopped our cars and waited silently. Suddenly a roar came inside from the jungle. But yet again tiger did not come out. It was 9-30 and it was a time for exit. Heartbroken we returned to the resort.

After having a good lunch and a very much required power-nap in the resort we got ready for the evening safari at 3 pm. This time luckily we got a very good guide, Ashokkumar, who promised us a sighting. As soon as we entered the Magdhi zone, a breath-taking scene left us spellbound. A herd of about 50-60 chitals, along with some Indian Gaurs and Sambar deers were drinking water in a lake. It was an awesome sight. Manojkumar took our gypsy to the farthest corner of the where rarely any other gypsy went, there was a magnificent lake, around there were so many birds, very refreshing view. It was about 5pm and we should start returning because the reporting time at gate was 6pm. Still no sighting, heartbroken.

Few km away suddenly a gypsy stopped us and the driver of that gypsy called us immediately in front of them. He was whispering "sshhh, tiger, tiger!” We looked inside the jungle, did not find anything, suddenly saw some movement, and there he was, nodding his head. Oh my god, is it true? Yes it is, he was sitting just few meters away from us, behind a tree. He seated there for few seconds, then got up and walked inside the jungle and then jumped on.... is it??? Yes there was a tigress also. So lucky we were. We were able to spot the couple together. We came to know from our guide their mating season is going on, so tigers prefer to stay inside the jungle during this time, so it was a rare sighting. It was Behra Male & Behra Female of the Rajbehra area of the Magdhi zone.

Being very happy we decide to return quickly to the exit gate as it was already 5-30 pm. Out of total 65 gypsies only 2 could spot tigers, and our was one of the two. Great!!!

We returned to the resort in a happy mood. The caretaker of the resort arranged more adventure for us that night. It was awesome and thrilling.

Next morning we woke up early again and went for the safari. This time we were more interested to spot every tit-bits of the jungle. We did spot so many beautiful birds, wild boars, jackals, chitals, mongoose, wild cats etc. We were unlucky to spot a tiger this time also. But never mind, it will keep our interest high for visiting this beautiful jungle again.

Now its time to bid adieu Bandhavgarh. We had our train from Jabalpur in the evening, so after returning from the safari, we decided not to waste our time and start for Jabalpur. Jabalpur is 200 km from Bandhavgarh, via Umaria. Road is too good. Deepak, our Xylo driver took only 3 hrs to reach Jabalpur. We went straight to Bhedaghat, to see the Dhuadhar Falls. Truly it is the Niagra of India. It was summer time, though the huge water, roar of the falls was great. The 'Dhua' created in front of the fall generated a beautiful rainbow. A perfect showstopper of a great trip. Though it was short and hectic enough, we managed to enjoy ourselves every moments of it.

We are all set to back to the concrete jungle!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb