It's Hot in Kerala!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala
February 2nd 2009
Published: February 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Cherai Beach ResortCherai Beach ResortCherai Beach Resort

On Vypin Island near Kochi, this is a great place to do as little as possible.
2 Feb 2009
It’s early Monday morning here in southern India and Super Bowl halftime at home, with the Steelers leading 17-7. Strange, isn’t it? We’re at the Cherai Beach Resort for one more day, getting sunburned and recovering from jet lag. We left our east Tennessee home on 28 Jan, managing to avoid the snow and ice storms that hit the eastern US, and flew overnight to London. Stayed at the airport Hilton and flew Qatar Airways (a very good experience) to Kochi, India, via Qatar. London was also cold and gray, so we were happy to get to India (at 4 AM after 18.5 hours in the air).

The place we’re staying for a few days is smaller and a little shabbier than it appears on its web site, but it’s clean, quiet and beautiful - walled in and guarded from the Indian “public”. Yesterday (Sunday) there were thousands of people on the beach, but no one seemed to even think about coming through the open gate. The resort caters mostly to Europeans (Germans, Swiss, Dutch) and offers Ayurvedic massage. Since last year we sampled Thai massage, we tried it. It’s much gentler than Thai or deep-tissue massage,
Early Morning, Kerala BackwatersEarly Morning, Kerala BackwatersEarly Morning, Kerala Backwaters

This was taken at about 7:30 a.m. -- it even looks hot, doesn't it?
using hot oil steeped with medicinal herbs to remove toxins from the body. It’s still a weird experience to be (mostly) naked and have people rub oil on you, pound you with hot bags of boiled herbs, and wash the oil from you afterwards. Tom said he felt like a French fry after the treatment. We’ve spent several hours on the beach, so I’m pink and Tom’s already getting tan. Today, we’re getting a treatment that involves pouring herbal oil on our heads, but they’ve already told Tom that although these massages remove toxins from the body, they do not re-grow hair. This is a nice place, but it’s obviously not India. Tom also notes that since the Resort emphasizes good health, they don’t sell beer. He’s on a mission to find some today. Tomorrow we leave the Cherai Beach Resort and head back into Kochi to meet up with our Intrepid tour.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Water Lilies at NightWater Lilies at Night
Water Lilies at Night

The single pond had white, pink, and purple-blue lilies.


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb