Short trip to Wayanad


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Wayanad
September 28th 2007
Published: September 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sunset near GundalpetSunset near GundalpetSunset near Gundalpet

We reached Gundalpet around Sunset and this is the beautiful picture we got.
I have travelled to Wayanad almost 3 times by now, but I always end up going on short trips and so dont end up seeing anyplace at all. Thinking about it again, why bother going around when I can sit on the porch and have a hot cup of tea. For a person like me - coming from a crowded city, Wayanad is a haven of peace and freshness.

Bangalore to Mysore is always a pleasent journey..with the wide road. Then on the road becomes narrower, though not bad from Nanjangud, Gundalpet before reaching the forest enclosing the border of Kerala and Karnataka. Gundalpet is another small town that is attractive, what with the scores of flower farming done there. We also ended up seeing some animals in the forest, elephants, monkeys and deers (The best time to see the animals is in the morning or evening). A notice by the Forest Department read that - " Picnics not allowed" lol.

Morning's in wayanad are always foggy, by afternoon it is warm and nights are cool. There are tea plantation's all over the place, its greenery everywhere.

We went to the Pookot lake by mid morning, it is
Foggy morningFoggy morningFoggy morning

This is a tea shop opposite to the place where we lived.. This is how mornings usually are around here - foggy.
more quiet than the lake at Ooty ( Afternoon is a bad time to be on the lake, too hot ). We went boating and then walked around the Lake. Another place we went to is the view point right before the Ghat section, from this place you get a view of Calicut district.....you just have to see this one when it is misty, just cant explain how wonderful it was.

Chain Tree is one of the attractions here. The legend is interesting, it is said that the Britishers wanted to build a road up the mountain but couldn't find a way. A tribal helped them out by showing an easy route that was very familiar to them. The foreigner learnt the way and had the Tribal killed so that no one else could learn the route. It is said that after the road was built most of the vehicles that passed through were attacked by the ghost of the Tribal which threw the vehicles down the cliff. It is believed that this ghost is tied with chains to a tree here, which has reduced the accidents on the road.

Soojipara is a famous waterfall around here. We
Chembra PeakChembra PeakChembra Peak

Chembra Peak is the tallest peak in Wayanad Dist at 2100ft . Trekking to the peak is a good option
started off alright, but ended up going to a river near by to have a bath. So soojipara is put off to another day. Chembra peak is the tallest peak in Wayanad dist with a height of 2100 ft. Vehicles can take you only half way up the mountain the rest should be trekked. There is a lake on top of the peak, the Kerala Tourism Development Corporation (KTDC) organises camping there. I din't have time enough to try this out.

Leaving wayanad I know I will come again, I still have to see Edakkal caves, Soojipara and trek the Chembra. Maybe soon...

http://tessy-george.blogspot.com/
http://novel-review.blogspot.com/







Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

FlowersFlowers
Flowers

Stopped by one of the flower nurseries. Dont you think these flowers look gr8.
Pookot LakePookot Lake
Pookot Lake

Boating and driving in horse carriages are the activities here.
Tea plantationsTea plantations
Tea plantations

I think the charm of Wayanad lies in its tea plantations... They are all over the place.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb