Our Stint at an Indian Monastary


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Vagamon
November 19th 2016
Published: November 24th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We visited a monastary in the hill country where the monks live in silence and run a dairy. It is a self-sustaining facility where the monks raise all the vegetables they need to survive and live as strict vegetarians.

Needless to say, the monks live a very modest life.

The profits raised by the dairy business are given to charity.

The grounds were gorgeous and the dairy was spotless. The cows were housed in fantastic old barns. The complex of barns and out buildings was charming and inviting. The monestary also had a beautiful botanical garden.

With his midwest manners, dad walked around saying hello to each person we met until our guide politely informed him the monks were not allowed to speak!

We acted interested in prayer time and going to the chapel, but it was an act. Our guide took us to the chapel in time so we could pray before the monks began prayer time. We tried not to giggle as we thought about what our family at home would think about us taking time to pray!

We really just wanted to wander through the barns, interact with the cattle and enjoy the gardens.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



24th November 2016

Home Soon?
Let your Mom know flight info. All she has is time. What a wonderful trip!

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb