Made it to India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Trivandrum
February 1st 2010
Published: February 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

We were up to day at 2.30 after only a couple of hours sleep. We'd already had our bags packed and ready so it didnt tak us long to check out of our hotel room. And then it all went wrong.

Managed to flag a taxi and he told us it was on the meter then added it would be extra for tolls, surcharges and after midnight fee. After trying to decipher what this meant it would cost us we eventually just went with it and hoped our 150 ringitts between us would be enough to get to the airport. Thankfully it was, just. What a ripoff but we were happy to be at the airport, or so we thought....

Shortly after arriving we found we were at the wrong terminal, my fault really for not properly checking the confirmation and assuming it was the same place we got our flight to Oz. We were told we could get a taxi or bus so we thought we'd bus it. Only thing was the bus station was full of sleeping malaysians and a complete lack of buses.

We decided to try the taxis but the stands seemed closed, then a man approached us and said he would drive us to the other terminal for 50 ringitt and said theyd charge 62 at the airport taxi. He also said the buses didnt start til 6.30 (our flight left at 6.20). So we begrudgingly paid up after an ATM visit and he drove us.

He was a chatty fella and told us about his backpacking experience. He warned us about buses running us over and people drugging us to steal our kidneys. On the other hand he said it was cheap.

The drop off was a little go go go. Since his taxi service is illegal we had to move fast with the bags before anyone caught him, luckily this went smooth and we were in the airport.

The flight to India was ok, not much else to say on that.

So we arrived, touching down into the palm trees and shacks. Customs was quick and our taxi cheap (bout 3 pound - much nicer). Then we had a winding drive to our hotel, I swear we nearly died 10 times. Traffic here seem to be unable to break, they simply swurve. The taxi when approaching crossroads didnt brake, didnt look, just gave a warning beep as if to say "im coming through, brace yourself". Everything here just beeps. Beep, beep, beep, beep ARGHGGHGH!

That said its simply a fabulous place. Trivandrum seems to have not much going on for tourists but its busy, bustling and relentless. Walking round is an assault on the senses, its manic and dusty yet really interesting. Just watching traffic pass is exciting.

After checking into our 7 pound hotel with en-suite and cable TV (love the prices!) we set out to explore the town. Suse nearly died by motorbike due to her poor use of the green cross code. Luckily i shouted just in time and she stopped walking.

Its stringe being in a place not full of tourists, we seem to be one of the only white faces around. It isnt uncomfortable though, were not getting stared at as much as we thought we might, which is nice.

We decided to nap at about 11 as wed seen the town and were beat. We only woke up at 4.30 then set off to find some food.

We ate a lovely tea of potato masala, veg kidai and 2 veg biriyanis and a large water, all totalling to 1.50 pound each. There was loads of it too, yummy.

Tomorrow may have a zoo in store and our first ride in an auto rickshaw!



Advertisement



1st February 2010

Another world
You think that the taxis are frightening just wait til you experience the auto rickshaw!!!!!!!!

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0882s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb