Trivandrum


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Trivandrum
October 20th 2008
Published: October 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We made our way to Trivandrum today after having breakfast on the balcony...It all went a bit 'fawlty towers' for a while in the hotel with a question about hot water resulting in various responses -
* The boy is coming to turn the switch
* Let it run for 5 minutes....
* we have solar panels - not always hot!

We discovered that the let it run option worked.

A request for breakfast early didnt happen so i went down to ask and was met with lots of 'one moment, one moment' and then when the manager arrived I was greeted with gesticulating hands and 'terribly sorry, terribly sorry' while he explained somthing about sleeping. (we are the only people here so who can blame him for lying in!). The hotel's great, everyones really friendly and despite being told we got continental brekkie we've been offered different options to try Indan breakfasts which we will do over the next day or so.

While in Trivandum we visited the Shri Padmanabbaswamy temple which was amazing. we weren't able to go in but the architecture from the outside was stunning (even if due for a clean - once every ten years (this year)). As we approached we were greeted by a guide who showed us around the permitted areas and told us the story's of the stone carvings on the buildings exterior which included Siva, Ganesh and Vishnu. After watching someone carving wooden dieties we wandered around 'the tank' (where Hindu's bathe) and took in the atmosphere of the busy city. It was hot so we sat a while in Gandhi park before takng a look at Puttan Maika palace (closed on mondays -oops). To be honest I dont think there's much to the inside anyway.

After a couple of hours w headed back to the hotel and whilst walking on the beach saw a group of local lads gatherd in a circle - they were watching a 'yellow snake' (not deadly I'm told - photo to follow for Aled!).

Got some postcards tday but I think getting stamps will be a trip in itself - only available in post office and I havent seen any yet!




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0812s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb