The end of the tour


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Trivandrum
February 12th 2007
Published: February 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Meanwhile back at the ashram...
The ashram was home to the hugging mama...amma...and it was an interesting place. This woman has been responsible for MANY good works here in Kerala. She has established many schools , colleges , hospitals , feeding and housing programs . The area we were in was one that was devastated by the tsunami a few years ago. There are still people living in temporary housing but many have had their homes rebuilt by the amma.

I really don't know what to make of the ashram .There are several 1000 students that live there and attend the 4 colleges in the area . They are housed in a separate area.THen there were the quarters for the ashramites , the people who have dedicated their lives to this woman and her work.Many of them are caucasian and they seem to have administration duties and also work in the area we were involved with. Ther is also an aryuvedic hospital and treatment centre . We were staying in the international residence...a 11 story building filled with rooms of anywhere from 2-8 beds...all VERY basic. Food was served 3 times a day. Indian food was part of our 150rupee fee/day (that's about 4$Can) but one could purchase western food at the CAFE and most westerners ate in one area at tables and chairs. It was a lot like camp ...pick up your dishes in one place wash them when you were finished ...sign up to do SEVA(service to the community)...in the kitchen , the gardens, are any of of a myriad of small tasks that need to be done in a community of about 4000 people with no paid employees.

The schedule was filled with music , prayer , good works and reflection. On the first evening we joined the women in the temple for song and prayer...remarkably like benediction and the litany of the saints except it lasted for 90 minutes. A similar service with everyone involved (male and female which is unusual in Kerala) began at @4:30 am and ran until 6am...It was quite lovely to hear just beyond the sound of the overhead fan.

Then the whole rhythm of the place changed for the amma was going to be in Trivandum and everyone at the ashram and in the neighbourhood were being bussed to see her. 128 buses EACH making the 3 hour trip into town to get people there for the 6pm program. They started leaving at 8am...We walked on the beach a while but by 11am decided to be on our way as well. We also decided that we did not care to be in the crowd of 18000 people that were expected at the event which would probably last until Sunday @10am...amma huggs everyone who attends these functions!!

So that experience came to an end...and I'm glad I did it but ...I think it is a cult.

We arrived in Trivandem in the early afternoon and were glad to have a shower in our 4star AC hotel .We told our driver , who had been most attentive to our welfare throughout the journey that we didn't want to do anymore driving that day and after he directed us to the shopping areas in the vacinity we sent him home to see his family .He had been gone from them for 2 weeks and missed his 2 little girls. So the evening was ours and we walked about in a city exploring the markets and small shops before returning to the hotel for a late supper. I should mention that the current temperature here is 32' and it is Very humid as well.

Sunday ,after driving us about to a few hotels for me to look at and reserve for Mon&Tues,we did some touring here in the city and quite enjoyed an art gallery , the old fort and wooden palace, an amazing 260 year old temple that is ALL carved and public gardens and a drive by of some interesting places. We didn't last too long and had left Maryanne at the hotel with a bout of Delhi belly so returned @2pm. Sam returned for us at 5 to take us to his home to meet his wife and daughters and to have 'Tea" with them .It was kind of them to invite us.

This morning we packed up and headed to the airport .My companions are GONE!!

Sam and I returned to town and he took me to an HSBCbank so I could organize my funds and then to a photo place to have my camera card of 526 pictures copied to a disc .He dropped me here at the hotel and checked that all was well with my room and confirmed that I had his work and home phone numbers in case I need them anytime in the next few weeks...aren't I fortunate!!

Wednesday I plan to head out to Varkala beach a 40 minute train ride away for some R&R but will keep you posted..

Hope all is well.Keep in touch

Advertisement



12th February 2007

Dheli Belly is home at last
Hey there Pam - just to say your companions are home once more - after a 2 hour car ride through Dubai's wonderous traffic - (It only takes 4 hours to go to India, right?) - I will follow the rest of your adventures on the blog and live vicariously for the next few weeks. Sam is so great, isn't he? He certainly will be there for you if you should need him. Enjoy your R+R now at the beach...look forward to your next adventure, but especially to your coming back to Dubai.

Tot: 0.408s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb