Modes of transport...


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Periyar National Park
January 25th 2009
Published: January 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our varied modes of transport in India, from the sublime to the ridiculous...



I've just been looking back on all the ways we have travelled in this amazing country since we arrived on January 4. We arrived in Chennai via India Air, thankfully an uneventful experience. Then things began to get interesting, starting with the bus driven by a Tamil who awed all aboard with both his driving skill, and his countless close calls with oncoming buses, trucks, rickshaws, cows, motorcycles, and cars, all of which can be found in any lane at any time. How he managed to avoid a collision was a constant source of incredulity. Yet, nobody on the tour was able to relax because of the seemingly insane driving by all. It seems that the size of the vehicle determines how much over the line it dares to go, and all smaller vehicles need to veer to the side of the road as possible, or in some cases, drivers just swerve and gun it.

The ridiculous


Then there was the bicycle rickshaw, operated by the muscle power of one approximately 70-year-old man, who weighed approximately 90 pounds, through the choked chaotic
Running thru the jungle...Running thru the jungle...Running thru the jungle...

This was the best way to see the S.E. Indian forest!
pandemonium of noontime streets in the city of Madurai. I think I described this little journey in a previous blog.

The auto rickshaw is a little less scary than the bicycle rickshaw because at least the driver doesn't have to jump out periodically and push the rickshaw, as huge buses and trucks blare their horns as they approach from behind. Still, on a highway, the auto rickshaw is still decidely at a disadvantage, both in size and speed.

The not so ridiculous


A hired car or taxi is a much more comfortable alernative for westerners like us. Dr. Ann & I hired a car and driver to take us to the Periyar wildlife sanctuary from the city of Madurai. The ride was much easier on us, and we even were able to sleep a little during the 4 hour trip. Once we started up the mountain to the sanctuary, though, the road became one-lane, and of course, buses and cars were going two ways. Imagine Highway 17 if it were a one lane road!

Once in the sanctuary, we took a boat ride on Lake Periyar. The boat was a diesel powered single level deal. The motor was loud, and there were some fumes, but at least we didn't have to deal with lots of oncoming traffic. The next day, we got a little more adventurous and took a bamboo raft across the lake to hike in the tiger preserve. I remember being very glad we had a guide and that this would not be a place to get lost and have to spend the night!

The sublime...



And then, finally, for the sublime, we got to ride an elephant through the forest. He was a sweet and gentle 28-year old Asian elephant, whom gladly accepted our favors of bananas and squash both before and after the ride. This was a treat, and we enjoyed talking to the trainer and guide, who were kind enough to take our photos.

The not-so-sublime


They say when in India to not miss taking the train. So we took an overnight journey from Madurai to Chennai. Dr. Ann and I booked first class sleepers, which came with sheets, pillows and blankets. But the train was old, crowded and pretty dirty. There was no running water, and just Asian style squat toilets. The trained bounced and groaned all night long, so we didn't get much sleep.

The last mode of transportation we engaged was a golf cart. This was a familiar, unthreatening, mundane ride simply to get us and our bags to our cottage on the beach at this lovely resort on the Bay of Bengal coast.

Soon, we'll be getting on a plane and coming back to SFO. Looking back on all of our modes of transportation is just one way of remembering this trip, which we will never forget! The people we have met in India have made it a truly fabulous trip.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb