Bloody hell it's freezing


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Munnar
May 8th 2006
Published: May 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Betty cutting the teaBetty cutting the teaBetty cutting the tea

She was so pleased that I took her photo she asked for a pen!
So the Pooram was over and I said my goodbyes to the gaggle of travellers that had accumulated of the last few days.

Sorted out getting to Munnar by bus was the best way...bit of an effort as arrived in one place where I had been told to go, to find that I couldn't get a connecting local bus, luckily private bus on hand...and completed journey.

Stayed at a small homestay run by an eccentric old chap, who runs the tourist info office in town...room was expensive as it was high season, but I wanted to stay for the views across the tea plantations. Arrived at night so couldn't see anything...and had to get rickshaw up to the place as it is a dangerous trip up their with wild elephants in the area....you don't want them to get angry and charge at you!

Woke up to fantastic views across the plantations and a nice cup of tetley tea (the local stuff!!!) and biscuits. Organised to take car with a Scottish and Australian couple to the top station and a few other places.

Top station provided wicked views of the Tamil Nadu and Kerela border, however the rest
Tea Plantation - munnar or madikeriTea Plantation - munnar or madikeriTea Plantation - munnar or madikeri

looks exactly the same eh!?!
was a bit of a let down, a few dams with pedelos (or boating as they like to call it)....we did however see wild elephants, all be it briefly before the Indian tourists came along, chasing them, throwing stones and generally making loads of noise. Still finally got to see a wild one!

Next day headed off on a walk recommended by the homestay chap, a couple of canadian girls had done it the day before and told me that the first half was the best bit, as I was short for time I took there advice, views were lovely mixture of tea, coffee and cardoman plantations.

After a couple of days though I'd had enough, Munnar has a cool climate as it is in the Western Ghats, however I was yearning for the heat of the south again! Next stop Madurai.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb