Misty Mountains of Munnar


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Munnar
July 5th 2008
Published: July 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ahhhhh - we’re gunna miss our train out of Bangalore - the traffic sucks!! Torin says there is nothing for a tourist in Bangalore, work okay, but not touristy. On the train, 3-tier class, with blankets and pillows. Everyone on the train was asleep by 10.30pm. About 7.30am heads pop out the window to look at green, green and more green - we had arrived in Kerala with the monsoon - it was lush and green.

From Aluva we taxied to Munnar - 1450m above sea level surrounded in beautiful patchwork tea plantations. It’s a bustling tea/tourist town with fresh local baby carrots on the road side - perfect snack with the local honey, tasting similar to golden syrup.

Mount, our driver for Sunday 29th June took us around to all the main attractions with tea plantations constantly surrounding us. Points included various dams and waterfalls and top station (about 2000m), with a view over to Tamil Nadu the neighbouring state. The monsoon didn’t affect the sightseeing, as it arrives from about 3-4pm, when the heavens open and the locals retire for the evening.

The first night stay in Munnar (Sat) was close to town, and we had a nice wonder around and ate Israeli food for dinner which Torin welcomed for a change of taste to the Southern Indian food. Dinner followed the political speaker from the communist party with a megaphone and sound-system that filled the entire valley with his preaching. As a possible consequent the following Monday we got stuck in Munnar, the congress ordered an area wide strike with EVERYTHING closed - no food, transport, petrol, no nothing so we chilled out for the day and drank duty free champagne.

JJ’s cottage family homestay just out of town is nice - we got the top level deluxe room, with views…for only 500 INR’s! sweeeeeeet. The next day we traveled to Kumily and the Periyar wildlife sanctuary…..to be continued.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

WaterfallsWaterfalls
Waterfalls

One of the many around the alpine town of Munnar
Tea PlantationsTea Plantations
Tea Plantations

In the beautiful hills of Munnar


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb