Kochi & Munnar


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Munnar
February 29th 2008
Published: March 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Fort KochiFort KochiFort Kochi

The Iconic Chinese Fishing nets that lined the coast

Kochi



We arrived into Kerala after a very early morning flight, tired and exhausted but after a mid day siesta at our wonderfully welcoming homestay, arose to discover the most beautiful and peaceful of cities ready to explore.

Cochin is divided into distinct parts the main modern city called Ernakulam and the old Portuguese fishing port of Fort Kochi filled with history and culture which is where we chose to base ourselves.
We spent 3 days in Kochi, visiting the old catholic churches left by the Portuguese and Dutch settlers of yesteryear and wandering the beautiful old streets and beautiful shoreline of the city.
Fresh fish was on the menu each night when you would negotiate a price for your chosen fish or seafood with the local fisherman who would then cook the dish up for you for a small fee. A great way to eat I can tell you! Prawns (Called scampi) the size of small lobster and red snapper were just 2 of the culinary delights served up to us during our stay.

We left Kochi feeling utterly contented and refreshed, a great place to see and I would think we’ll return one day.

Munnar

Fort KochiFort KochiFort Kochi

One of the beautiful old street scenes
After leaving Kochi, we weren’t expecting to find a more relaxing place to stay but on our arrival in beautiful Munnar we found we were mistaken.
Munnar is a hill station frequented by the wealthy British in colonial days and has become one of the most extensive tea plantations in India. The hills surrounding Munnar are the real reason to visit the area full of vivid colours from the luminous green of the tea fields to the huge range of blossom and flowers lining each field, track and road.
We stayed In a small place deep within the tea fields, a really quiet and beautiful place that we loved spending time at.

Our 4 days in Munnar were spent trekking around the hills (which looked remarkably like the swiss alps I thought!) and going on personal tours of the local area to viewpoints, lakes, waterfalls and plantations. These plantations were not just of the tea variety, the range of things growing around Munnar was quite amazing including coffee, pepper, cardaman, coconut, banana, pineapple, cinnamon, cloves and a sandal wood forest which is apparently a very expensive wood used for furniture.
Munnar truly was one of the most beautiful places
Fort Kochi Street SceneFort Kochi Street SceneFort Kochi Street Scene

Check out the Ambassador car, they're everywhre in India!
you could ever wish to see and we loved every minute of our stay here. I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves!

Onto Thekkady next a wildlife sanctuary home to Tigers, Wild Elephants, Panthers and Leopards though I’ve heard the chances of seeing any of these is slim! Lets Hope!

Bye for now, hope you’re all keeping well and keep the comments and messages coming as they’re always a nice surprise.

Steve & Laura



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Fort KochiFort Kochi
Fort Kochi

Laura Buying our daily ration of fresh fruit!
Fort KochiFort Kochi
Fort Kochi

Laura outside our lovely homestay
MunnarMunnar
Munnar

The Tea Fields around Munnar
MunnarMunnar
Munnar

Tea Fields!
Tea!Tea!
Tea!

Another stunning view in the hills around Munnar
Cuppa Anyone?Cuppa Anyone?
Cuppa Anyone?

Us in the Tea Fields!
MunnarMunnar
Munnar

More Tea!
MunnarMunnar
Munnar

Even More Tea!
MunnarMunnar
Munnar

Another great view!
Tea PickersTea Pickers
Tea Pickers

Working the fields
Valley ViewValley View
Valley View

On one of our tours around the hills
Walking in MunnarWalking in Munnar
Walking in Munnar

another beautiful day in Kerala
Flowers in MunnarFlowers in Munnar
Flowers in Munnar

Some of the many beautiful flowers in Munnar
Flowers in MunnarFlowers in Munnar
Flowers in Munnar

More beautiful flowers
Munnar in BloomMunnar in Bloom
Munnar in Bloom

Colour everywhere!
BlossomBlossom
Blossom

These trees were in full blossom everywhere around Munnar
Atthukad WaterfallAtthukad Waterfall
Atthukad Waterfall

One of the many waterfalls around Munnar
Mattupetty LakeMattupetty Lake
Mattupetty Lake

Near Munnar
Mattupetty LakeMattupetty Lake
Mattupetty Lake

A beautiful place surrounded by tea fields


5th March 2008

That looks like your best place yet, this Graeme dont have time to faf with the filling the name in
5th March 2008

Looks fantastic Steve, good to see a picture of you this time although i'd like to see you get the shorts and flip flops out for next time. Still no comment from JB on here, i guess he's just not a 'real' friend. Too busy banking probably.
5th March 2008

OK guys, stop this!!! One minute I'm content with getting married and settling down ... now I want to travel the world forever and ever until I'm as pink and wrinkley as ... a babies finger!!! Boooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb