Kochi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kochi
February 23rd 2009
Published: February 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

After we were dropped off at the train station in Alleppey we took about an hr train ride to Kochi where we would spend a night on a recommendation from a traveler we met along the way. The minute we got off of the train you could sense it was a wealthier than normal part of India, with traffic lights and a sense of order. Cochin has a heavy Portugese influence. We made our way to our hotel which we decided to treat ourselves to at $20 a night. It is amazing that a 14" tv becomes a luxury when you are traveling.

At the desk we met a man named Sane who has Indian heritage but was from Toronto, so we headed out to grab some food with our fellow Canadian. Sane was 65 and goes backpacking every year and has visited 75% of the world (Something we hope to still be doing when we are retired.) We ended up eating delicious meal which came to $1 for Sarah and I to fill our stomachs.

After eating and getting settled we took a ferry boat across to Fort Kochi which was filled with beautiful architecture, shops, and very friendly locals. Right off the Ferry we took a little stroll down the back alleys of the island and enjoyed the colorful houses and the locals.

We spent the next couple of hours checking out the shops, and little art galleries. We were able to see the sunset before we caught our ferry back for another stomach filler and dare I say it TV.

We are heading out the next morning to catch an overnight train to Goa.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

KochiKochi
Kochi

Fisherman's village
KochiKochi
Kochi

Our Canadian friend, Sane
KochiKochi
Kochi

Cows, cows, cows


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb