The McGreals and the Cockroaches take a train ride to Goa


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Palolem
February 23rd 2009
Published: February 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our first overnight train in India was something that I was looking forward to. There is something about traveling by train that adds a little romance on your journey. Sarah and I were able to get a 2 tier sleeper which will be a bunk bed for Sarah and I and two other people. We were somewhat lucky with the people we got compared to the many travel horror stories.

The train was ready to go, and so were we. We headed off and the first couple hours went pretty slow, but were able to see beautiful scenery and some not so beautiful cockroaches in our cabin. The lady who we shared the cabin with, informed us that they were her friends, and that they won't harm us. Living in Taiwan for a year made us a little more prepared for them, and good at hunting them. Once the sun went down and dinner was served we climbed into our upper bunks spooning our backpacks, (which was big enough for me to lie in one position), and tried to get some sleep. We had to wake up at 4am to catch our stop or the train will keep going.

After successfully reaching our stop and taking a rickshaw(who tried to rip us off) to our place we had been planning to stay for a little bit. We were informed that we had to wait until 8 am for the boss to come since there was a little mix up. At first we were pretty bummed but then we took advantage of the blanket of stars, and laid on the beach to watch the sunrise. It quickly made the 14hr train ride worth it. Who says you can't have a honeymoon in India.

The mix up was sorted at 8 and we decided to stay put for a little while and enjoy the laid back beach lifestyle. The next day we were able to hire a couple locals to take us out on their boat to go look for dolphins and take us to a tucked away beach. It took a little patience but were able to see some wild dolphins in their natural habitat. After the dolphin watching and the sun burning we headed back to our place to enjoy a nap in the hammock and a nice lunch. Tonight we are heading to a quiet place away from the strip called the Sundowners (no relation) to enjoy a dinner and watch another Indian sunset together.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

PalolemPalolem
Palolem

Our beach hut
PalolemPalolem
Palolem

View of the beach from our beach hut


23rd February 2009

wow
Your honeymoon sounds amazing, cant wait till you figure out the picture thing, but why waste time on that... wow. maybe your calling is travel writting. happy to hear your having fun and staying safe.
24th February 2009

Amazing
Wow Sarah and Joe, everything looks so great! it is making my travel itch a little stronger! i hope I can experience these things one day!! Miss you both, Love Monika
25th February 2009

WOW!
What an amazing experince and honeymoon! Your blogs are great...makes you want to be there (except for the train ride). Can't wait to see the pictures. Stay safe.

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0724s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb