Homestay fun


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kochi
February 15th 2009
Published: February 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi.

Well lets try to get up to date now then.

We got off the train then into some rickshaws to take us to our boat. They took us to their "friends" who had a house boat they would rent out to us, and they did not understand that we had a boat already booked. Once they figured out we wouldn't be buying anything we were on our way to the boat again. It didn't take much longer to get their, then about 5 minutes later we were on out boat through Kerala Backwaters.

The Kerela backwaters are a group of manmade islands in the middle of a lake. With all sorts of greenery on the islands. It kindof feels like one of those places where people might never leave through there entire lifes (we are assured they do though). There were lots of children playing in the lake and mums washing their clothes in there as well. We had a nice relaxing hour and a half boat trip till we got to our homestay for the night. There was 8 of us in one house and 4 in the other, I was in the group of eight. Just after we got there we had a mug of chai and then a lovely homemade lunch. Most of the food came from nearby, such as from the rice paddy field out the front of the house. It was a big family we were staying with, a mum, a dad, 2 children and 2 grandparents all under one roof, with the children speaking the best english out of everyone. In the afternoon we all sat out the front of the house, then me, Chris and Carly started playing with a ball (Piggy in the middle) we tried to get the children involved but they didnt want to. Then after we had done playing we talked to Stella (an 11 year old friend of one of the children).

Early evening Mr Thomas who arranged the homestay took us on a walk round the island we were on. Its a mainly christain area but with some Hindu traditions thrown in for good measure. Everytime we met some children they wanted their photo takens and were excited to see them back. We met some children who were playing cricket on the roads, took some photos then when everyone else walked off I had a cheeky attempt to bat a few balls, the kids really put me to shame.

After the walk we went on a sunset canoe ride, we had two canoes for our group, but they hooked the canoes together and we all went round the islands together. We had some songs from the paddlers and then when another boat went by, the paddlers from that boat joined in as well and it was like a massive singsong, very cool and surreal. We then were lead by Mr Joseph (our house owner) to get some Toddy (a local alcholic drink) from a local bar, it was a nice smooth drink and I recomend it. We got back to the house and had some dinner, with the freshest pineapple I have ever had for desert. Half way the power went off but no one said anything and just carried on the conversation, (I did find that a bit strange). We had birthday cake for Charlene (her birthday seems to have gone on for a week), then headed to bed.

We got up with just enough time to have breakfast before we ahd to say goodbye to Mr Joseph and jump onto the boat through the backwaters back to town. Then it was onto a local bus where the bus driver took us towards certain death along the roads till just casually moving back onto the correct side of the road just before motorbikes, buses and tankers hit us.

We got Kochi about lunchtime and jumped in rickshaws to the hotel, then it was time to do the blog I did earlier today and grab some lunch. I managed to fit in a street shave just after lunch (I haven't shaved in a couple of days in preperation), again one of the closest shaves I have had, definetly beats the Gillete Fusion. Then we got on the local boat accross the harbour in Kochi to Fort Cochi. Hear we saw a Marshal Arts demonstration which included swords and sheilds, though they seemed to avoid the swords by jumping over them not by using by the sheild. And they showed us how to get people in body locks and break their arms (so all usful advice).

A few of us then headed to get a quick beer which got brought to us in a teapot with mugs as the place in question didn't have an alcohol lisence. It was then back to the theatre for a dance performance which truth be told just reminded me why I don't like dance. I am sure it was very spectacular but it just wasn't for me. It was a traditional dance which mainly uses the upper body and the head, like the opposite of riverdance. We ahve just got the boat back to the mainland and am all ready for tomorrow.

Ciao



Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0965s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb