The local way of doing things


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Mysore
February 18th 2009
Published: February 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi

Time for another update I feel, so here goes.

The next morning we all left to go back over to Fort Kochi for a look at the sites. We got the expensive 2 rupee boat over and then another 2 rupee boat (as we got on the wrong boat to start with) to the fort. We started off by going through what looked like a small med town to the synagogue which was ok to look around but there wasnt to much there in there really. It was then a short walk to the palace of Fort Kochi which again was not too impressive, though Michael got told off for telling us what things were (as that meant we didn't pay for a guide) and Alex got told off for taking a photo and they wouldn't let him leave until he deleted it.

We all got a nice lunch then had a bit of a longer look around the island and in some shops. Then back to the main land in a rickshaw and off to the train station. We were a bit touristy due to the timings of everything and actually had pizza hut for dinner, which was ok. Our 6 o'clock train left spot on the dot of just after 6.45. We had gone a little bit up market for this journey and actually had air conditioned coach. We all talked for a while, then played cards and then headed for a good nights sleep.

Now me and Charley had an idea for the next morning which I think we should get an A for effort even if an F for execution might have been generaous. Our plan was wake up at 6 open the door and sit and watch the sunrise. What happened was up at 6o'clock open the door sat there for a while before Charley said "oh its rising on the otherside" so we got up but we pulled into a station so we couldnt sit down as people were passing through the train (literally). So once we got going again Charley got her blanket and we put it wound us and after a while (when we were pulling into Banagalore) we realised we were right the first time. Then the guard shouted at me for sitting on his blanket.

We had breakfast in Bangalore then a 3 hour local bus to Mysore to get in just after 11. We had a really nice lunch at a place with the funniest menu (I got a photocopy). In the afternoon we looked round the palace, which is what Mysore is famous for. It was an impressive palce and we got a guide who showed who the eyes of lots of paintings would follow us (impressive at first but after about 10 times we got the idea). But we did learn important stuff like the fans are from america. The palace itself is fairly huge and is a mix of christain, jewish and hindu architecture.

Up to this point I was quite enjoying the sights of Mysore but as a place I was not to keen on it. It was just a bit hectic and everyone seemed a bit rushed and it was a bit messy (apart from the sites). But after yesterday evening I really like it and its mainly because we went and joined in with the locals. Firstly for dinner we went and got some food on the street. I tried some puri puri (i think) and some vegerterian balls which were really nice. and of course some Chai. Then 5 of us jumped into one rickhaw (4 in the back with Chris in the front with the driver) and headed to the cinema. After being taken to the wrong cinema, Chris helped with the driving and we ended up at the right place. We watched Dev-D (a bollywood film mainly in Hindi) and actually understood most of what was going on to til near the end. The film is quite hard hitting for a bollywood film and it was quite nice it didnt have a Hollywood style happy ending. The cinema was quite empty and our rickshaw driver was waiting in the cinema. On the way back he played "guess the age" with us. Though it did mean he had his head turned to face us a quite a lot of the time and it would sometimes have been nice if he was playing "drive the rickshaw" instead, however I think he quite liked Charley and Carly and was trying to show off to them.

We got up this morning to be greeted by the same rickshaw driver who followed us on our walk down to the breakfast place. Then after breakfast we headed up thehill in a rickshaw to a temple overlooking the city of Mysore and a massive statue of a bull. Though the views accross the city were the most impressive thing, and they were extremely impressive. Especially on the curving hill roads. On the way back I had a go at playing drive the rickshaw until we spotted the "drive the rickshaw" police (the police) up ahead. When I jumped in the back, however I think I had been spotted but the actual driver talked us out of it. Me Jessie and Carmon then hit the fruit and flower and bangle market, which did look really good and it was amazingly colourful, but we did get followed round by the same touts for ages trying to sell us necklaces and puzzles and did not seem to understand whatever the price we didnt want them. For lunch we had a nice thali in the really dinggy resturant, but it was again where all the locals were and was really good (i think i will recomend it to Michael) I joined in with the local way of doing things and eat with my hands. Ihave now just had a quick look round the shops and have about 45 mins till we are leaving this place.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb