Kochi, Malibari & Varkala


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Angamaly
January 4th 2006
Published: January 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Costa MalibariCosta MalibariCosta Malibari

Our own secluded beach in the North
Wow, a great way to celebrate the holidays. Started with a sampling of the Kerala coast, up to the 'jungle lodge' and finished back on the coast. The holidays began with an enjoyable backwater tour thru the canals along Kochi in both a rice barge and later a narrow wooden canoe. Learned about calcium carbonate production for cement and coir making (jute made from coconut husks).

A delicious seafood platter for Christmas day and then up to the jungle lodge. The ride up was fascinating with its mixture of lots and lots of people and the occassional elephant on the road, even saw one enjoying a bath in the river. The lodge was nestled in a coffee plantation. Much to our amazement, 5 minutes into our jeep safari a tiger appears about 100 ft down the road. Only blurring pictures as most of us did not even have our cameras ready. Later saw elephants and deer after that, and a very relaxing respite from the crowds and heat.

A beautiful drive thru some of the most impressive companion planting of coffee, tea, banana, cardamon and pepper farms brought us to the Coast of Malibari. We also stopped at a rubber plantation where we saw the sap being collected, the mats being pressed and left out to dry.

Costa Malabari consisted of a lovely little cottage with 4 rooms on a clifftop of a very secluded beach. It was quite idylic and we only wished we had reserved for additional nights. But it was back in Kochi to celebrate New Year's Eve with an amazing 7 course meal at one of the nicest places in town. The meal lasted till midnight finishing with 12 grapes eaten at the sound of a bell in the last 15 seconds of 2005. 2006 beginining with an effigery of Santa Clause being burned at the stake... a Spanish custom is what we were told...hope that's not bad karma!!

A fond farewell to Rosemary as we sent her back to cold England just when she was acclimating to hot as blazes Kochi!! We are now R&Ring at Varkala beach with the toughest decsion - which seafood restaurant to eat at. The ocean water and breeze are perfect temperatures. Day #2 and no plans to move on....


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Washing an ElephantWashing an Elephant
Washing an Elephant

Just driving down the road we came across this elephant thoroughly enjoying his bath.
Tea PlantationTea Plantation
Tea Plantation

The trees on the left have the black pepper vine growing up them.
Black pepper  Black pepper
Black pepper

The vine growing up the trees in the tea plantations
Sunrise at Waylanard Nature ReserveSunrise at Waylanard Nature Reserve
Sunrise at Waylanard Nature Reserve

The reserve where we saw the tiger. This was on our early morning safari drive.
Women at the market Women at the market
Women at the market

In the small village near Waylanard Reserve
Rubber Tree PlantationRubber Tree Plantation
Rubber Tree Plantation

Collecting the rubber sap
Rubber Rubber
Rubber

After adding acid the sap is pressed into a mat
Rubber Rubber
Rubber

And left out to dry
Theyyam DanceTheyyam Dance
Theyyam Dance

An early morning dance ritual unique for the Malibari region
Theyyam DanceTheyyam Dance
Theyyam Dance

The second act - early morning dance ritual unique for the Malibari region
New Year's EveNew Year's Eve
New Year's Eve

Sample of Kathakali dance at the New Year's Eve dinner
New Year's EveNew Year's Eve
New Year's Eve

Ed, Michele & Rosemary celebrating New Year's with a very nice dinner
Varkala BeachVarkala Beach
Varkala Beach

A great place for some R&R
Varkala BeachVarkala Beach
Varkala Beach

But not for all... the fishermen checking the day's catch.


4th January 2006

Amazing photos--happy new year, safe travels.
14th February 2006

What wonderful photos. I am planning a visit to this area and can only hope it really is this beautiful! Which jungle lodge did you see the tiger from?

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb