A Night on Lake Vembanad


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Alleppey
February 19th 2010
Published: February 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

John in the canoeJohn in the canoeJohn in the canoe

Heading back across the lake towards the houseboat which is shown in the background.
Lake Vembanad is the second largest lake in India and stretches north to south for nearly 100 km. Alongside the lake are paddy fields and coconut plantations, together with the village communities who harvest the rice and the coconuts.

The tourist industry plays its part in the economic wellbeing of these small lakeside communities and we played our part by spending just short of 24 hours on a kettuvallam, better known as a houseboat. Our boat was about 80 feet long and wide enough to accommodate an outdoor lounge area, a dining room, ensuite air conditioned bedroom and the crew's quarters which included the kitchen. We were waited on hand and foot and the lake and its surroundings were a visual feast. After lunch we had a gentle sail around part of the edge of the lake and then dropped anchor to allow the two of us to explore one of the canals running off the lake in a wooden canoe which had been carved out of a tree trunk.


At about 6.30 pm we dropped anchor for the night and after drinks, our dinner was served. The dinner was a feast of delicious local Keralan dishes.

We were up early in the morning to catch the sunrise across the lake, followed by breakfast.

All in all, a wonderful experience and a "must" for any visitor to Kerala.
















Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Heading across the lake Heading across the lake
Heading across the lake

We headed across the lake to one of the canals which are known as the backwaters. These are the places where people live alongside the water.
Back to the houseboatBack to the houseboat
Back to the houseboat

Returning to the houseboat from our trip to the backwater and looking forward to a long chilled beer.
The houseboat crewThe houseboat crew
The houseboat crew

The cook, the captain and the engineer.


22nd February 2010

Houseboat
This looks like bliss to me! I trust you are making a note of all this delicious cooking and will be running a cookery workshop for us when you get back?? Lovely photos. They contrast with my walk on Dartmoor yesterday where we enjoyed lying snow, lovely sunshine and beautiful views to the coast, but a bit chillier than India!
22nd February 2010

land of surprises
Your houseboat excursion certainly added to your list of transport modes.....now you can add canoes to that too. You must have also experienced a variety of foods.....hope your palates have adapted. Still getting a lot of late summer here, though some thistle down has started to appear so maybe Autumn is not too far away. Travel well xx The Kiwis
24th February 2010

Houseboat
John/Lynne Sounds like and looks a wonderful place. You both look suitably relaxed in the photos. I enjoyed a recent trip to Roadford reservoir in half term but, in hindsite, I can see that some sunshine and a few palm trees would have enhanced the experience. Looking forward to the next entry/photos. Best regards Paddy
25th February 2010

Envious!
This houseboat trip looks to be just up my street, and of course, to be waited on too. You look so relaxed (slightly more so than the earlier cycle ride) Can't wait to sample any culinary tips John has picked up...... Must go now, need to boost up the heating.... Love to you both, Sue. xx N.B. Had coffee with Sushi man!

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0757s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb