TRIP TO KERALA - GODS OWN COUNTRY


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Alleppey
October 4th 2009
Published: October 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The excitement to visit kerala was at its peak for two reasons, as this was my first time travel to beautiful backwaters of vembanad & also my honeymoon 😊 .

We had traveled to kerala by bus from chennai , as we entered into kerala there was change from dryness to greenery. Seeing the green coconuts all around energized our spirits. We reached cochin at around 8am & freshened ourselves in a small hotel near the bus stand( its pretty clean & after some bargain he charged us rs250( $5) for 4hours ). Then roamed near cochin harbor as we were informed that the houseboat would be ready at only 12pm. Around 10am the driver called to inform that we have to start as boat would be stationed in allepey . Our energy levels were high as the excitement to stay in houseboat for a night .

From cochin to allepey its around 60kms & it was a pleasant drive to allepey. As we reached allepey we started peeking from the window to see "our" houseboat("kettuvallam" in local language). Yes in the last it was parked , a cute & simple houseboat.we stayed in houseboat which had one bedroom
SNAKE RACE END POINTSNAKE RACE END POINTSNAKE RACE END POINT

THIS SPOT IS THE ANNUAL SNAKE BOAT RACE END POINT
with attached toilet and a dining area. You can avail houseboat with better facilities , there are many varieties with 2,3bedroom . Also saw one which had a swimming pool & a conference hall facility !.

The houseboat started entering into the vembanad lake. The vastness of the lake is magnificent & it covers total of 1512 sq km. This is the longest lake in india. There are numerous villages in & around this lake . The only mode of transportation is boat , boat & only boat. From old ladies to young men traveled in boats just as we travel in motor bikes in the road. Another unique feature is that farming here is done below the sea level , bunds are created to prevent lake water entering the farms but during monsoon it gets inundated.

For lunch we stationed near the farms & there were people selling fresh fish ( buy this as they are fresh , the cook will prepare for you in the houseboat). In the evening the houseboat stopped near the CAPTAIN's house, he left us to ourselves for sight seeing & then we took a small boat to see more deep inside
VEMBANAD FRESH WATER LAKEVEMBANAD FRESH WATER LAKEVEMBANAD FRESH WATER LAKE

ENTRY INTO THE LAKE
the villages. Here all houses are located nearby the lake & in the evening there were school boys swimming in the water bodies in front of their houses.

After 6pm A/c was switched on the bedroom & its safe to go to bed by 9pm since if you stay outside mosquitoes will carry and drop you in the lake( Better to carry ODOMOS). Next morning we woke up on hearing the horns from the speedboats. The houseboat started again at 8am to wander in to the lake . At 11am we again reached the port .

The next destination was pallithode near kochi . Here we stayed in a resort(Kondai Lip Resort ) , the highlight here is the "CHINESE FISHING NETS". These were introduced by chinese traders during spice trade some 600years ago.

The next day we left for Kochi to do some shopping.There are good emporiums in MG Road .we bought a wooden model of the houseboat for a reasonable price.

The House boat is available from 12pm check in & 11am check out (next day) , charges around Rs6000(with A/c, single room , simple accomodation)
Kondai Lip resort http://www.kondailip.com/ - charges around Rs.3500/
Boating in the lake Boating in the lake Boating in the lake

Fisherman in the lake
day - service is GOOD & you can do fishing, boating , bird watching .


Some Suggestions: 1) CARRY ODOMOS TO PREVENT MOSQUITOES BITES
2) BOOK A/C ROOM AS IT IS VERY HUMID even in December
3) CARRY SOME BOOKS FOR TIME PASS
4) ASK THE BOAT TO STAY IN EAST PART TO SEE THE SUNSET
5) THE COOKS PREPARE GOOD FOOD SO IF YOU LOVE FISH THEN YOU CAN GO
FOR A FEAST.
6) CARRY CASH SINCE SOME HOTELS DOSENT ACCEPT CARDS( THERE ARE ATMS IN
ALLEPEY)










Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Small boat tripSmall boat trip
Small boat trip

small boat used to navigate inside the villages
A pirate Boat :)A pirate Boat :)
A pirate Boat :)

In evening


15th October 2009

Fantastic Visit
I have some business meeting of four days in Kerala, India. I searched for hotel, found palm lagoon, so I called for booking but I got some problems on book, after booked the resort I got best facilities from the palm lagoon breakfast, lunch, dinner, pick up from airport. I have satisfaction with staying in.

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0803s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb