One night in Boathouse


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Alleppey
April 28th 2007
Published: April 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Land created the gateway for the ocean water to gush in to all its low lying areas to form, what is famously known as backwaters. This time a new team, a new place, but with same old passion to explore more in Gods own country, we set out to the well known backwaters of Kerala- Alleppey( Venice of the East).



We planned everything specially for Vinoy who wanted to fly back in time and get back to his bachelors life. We packed our bags and left office pretty early only to see how fast clouds congregate upon us. Before we started our actual sojourn from Cochin, rain started thundering upon us and we were drenched. We almost traveled the entire 65kms in rain accepting the greetings by nature in the form of rivers and small backwaters hear and there.




We reached Alleppey at around 8:00 pm and sneaked in our houseboat at around 8:30pm. I was astounded by design of the boat which had, two attached bedrooms, a kitchen, a dinning hall, a lobby and a terrace. All interiors were carefully designed by interlaced bamboo, forming arch shaped windows, giving it a hoary look.




Propellers propelled the boat in to the middle of backwaters for around 10-15 minutes before the anchors were dropped. It was completely dark with some radiance of light from far end , trying frivolously to outsmart scintillating stars of the night sky. What was that radiance of light? A question waiting to be answered with the first rays of sun.




We spent the night probing in to everybody’s personal life and knowing more about each other. Full filled stories, some senti reactions and masthi dance ended the night with dinner at 1 am. A non-veg dinner with fish, lobsters, and chicken in that cool weather……………ahhhhh delicious.




We woke up very early next morning, or woken up by our sub conscience to see the abstruseness, unfolded in front of us. We watched the sun ascent, creating its wavy reflection in red water with pinned coconut trees in the background. Small strip of land which was about to be engulfed by water around, had small abode at some places, as if showing human efforts to stop the ocean water. Solving the mystery of radiance of light.




Propellers, which had stopped aimlessly in the night got back their life. We saw more breathtaking landscapes, lives on boats leisurely starting their day, quacking ducks proudly drawing everybody's attention, diving birds playing with the surface tension of water, hiding fishes protecting from entering their intimate zone, before we came across a signboard telling 41kms to Cochin ( in backwater). Our excitement ended when we came to know that it takes almost a day to reach through that way! Journey continued in backwaters till 11am when we returned to the shore.



We spent some time in Alleppey beach before reaching Cochin at around 4pm.



I don't know if I will be able to visit Venice but if I visit, I am sure that my memories and thoughts will still be floating in the backwaters of ALLEPPEY.



Signing off from Alleppey -VINAY-




Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



13th June 2007

Venice of East
As in your previous travel blog , I have pointed out . Your emphasis should be on giving the reader information about the place , no one is really interested about who all were there with you , the reader should feel that he is actually present there . Your observations about the place should be generic in nature . Although a good blog , but previous one was better , I guess.
13th June 2007

Hi Vinay..good one..keep posting more of them..
13th June 2007

Truely God's Own Country
A mini tour to one of the many places to vist in kerala.Leave Venice , first we need to visit Venice of the east. This mini tour has made me envy vinay for the many opportunities he is having to explore nature. Signing off with a wish to join the exploration team and meet nature at its best.
13th June 2007

guud
Amazing pics bro.. had loads of fun huh??
13th June 2007

Lucky u
Nice description and photos..and really a good suggestion from ur sis..make that a reality. -S
20th December 2007

Well organized
Hi Vinay, Excellent. Well organized blog. Beautiful snaps!!! Great going, kindly update latest ones?
23rd January 2008

A definite adventure
This is one of the best free style adventure... Life should be enjoyed in this way.

Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb