Hooray for Hampi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Hampi
February 12th 2010
Published: February 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Finally arrived from our latest 10hr bus journey in Hospet where we were to make our way to Hampi. We met an english couple on the bus and got talking to them at the depot in Hospet where we all decided to get yet another bus to Hampi. It was 5.30 in the morning so it was an hours wait for the bus service to start up but it flew past quick enough.

At 6.30 everyone piled onto the bus and me and Suse were right at the front almost hanging out of the door. Luckily it wasnt a long bus trip and soon enough arrived at Hampi.

Turns out its a really busy time so we had trouble finding a room in a half decent guesthouse but we ended up in Gopi Guesthouse which was one of the ones wed originally wanted to go to but couldnt find on first look.

We had to wait another 3 hrs for our room to be available though so we sat in the rooftop restaurant and ate some breakfast where we met a Scottish girl also waiting for her room. Its funny how we talked for 3 hrs but still dont know her name.

When we got our room it was straight to sleep, neither of us had slept on the bus. After a nap we had yet more food in the rooftop restaurant and went out to explore our surroundings.

What a lovely place Hampi is. Its a village set by a beautiful riverbank with boulder covered hills all around. But mostly its know for its ruins, theyre everywhere, half of the houses here even encorporate the ruins to them. It looks like rural india mixed with ancient greece. Cant wait to get exploring them tomorrow.

People in the streets continue to be fascinated by our pastey whiteness. A whole family asked us to take a picture of them then held out their hands for us to shake. We just stood there while 5 or six women and kids patted our arms and felt our hands absoloutely amazed by us. It was a strange experience but they were all very sweet and smiley.

After that we registered at the police station (seems to be alot of crime for people who wander at night so they register every guest to the village) then watched the sun set behind an ancient temple.

Time to relax at last!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0196s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb