Chucking Bananas for Shiva


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Gokarna
February 19th 2007
Published: February 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Banana SellerBanana SellerBanana Seller

They did a roaring trade
We're still baffled as to why people queued to hurl bananas at the gigantic chariots but nevertheless we dutifully joined in the religiuous fervour. Surely there was some deeply symbolic significance to the bananas but the real reason eluded us and the process appeared to resemble a cross between target practice and a food fight.

The great wooden chariot (see pic from our last blog) had now been adorned in red and white flags, covering every inch of the wooden framing. Men stood in front of the massive chariot armed with banana missiles and aimed at the heart of the chariot in an attempt to land a banana through the door, or in some cases blatantly targetting the children inside. The kids responded by turfing the bananas back into the crowd - the ensuing result was a continuous stream of bananas being catapulted overhead and a thick layer of banana sludge covered the street.

We did later learn that the festival was Shivaratri and the banana were for good luck. Rach and Rich (our OM buddies from Day 1) and ourselves joined in, taking turns at aiming in an attempt to improve our luck with Shiva's blessing.

The atmosphere on the street was electric and despite the stifling heat the fervour was contagious. Monks prepared the chariots by laying flower wreaths, chanting prayers and inciting blessings. Women turned out in their Sunday best wearing intricately designed and colourful sari replete with fresh flowers to adorn their hair. The young men specially chosen to pull the chariot distinguished themselves by donning orange t-shirts and took turns at reverently marking their comrades foreheads with tikkas (a dash of red to symbolise shiva's blessing).

We secured a prime vantage point on the roof of friendly local man's roof. We climbed up three flights of stairs, shook hands and made introductions and then perched ourselves on the edge of the roof where we had an awesome birds eye view up the entire main street. From here we were able to fully appreciate the sheer scale of the festival and the thousands of attendees.

Police led the procession waving sticks to clear rogue stragglers out of the way, followed closely by a ramshackle band comprised of drummers, trumpeters and flutes. The chariots inched forward pulled by hundreds of men and the odd western traveller. Men scrambled to grab hold of the
Dave armed with bananasDave armed with bananasDave armed with bananas

Note the rugged unshaven hippie look that he is cultivating!
ropes even with just one finger, as if their salvation depended upon them pulling the chariot. Slowly it rumbled up the street as people prayed, clapped and danced on the fringes.

After our host thanked us for joining him on his roof (!) we made our way back down to soak in the atmosphere at ground level. The crowd had thinned a little but we still felt the crush of people as the chariot was rolled back home.

We were glad that we had made the decision to stay the extra few days for the festival and were joined by hundreds of pilgrims from across the state and India for the festival.

The previous day Dave and I were wandering around the Gokarna bathing tank and we met a lovely Indian family who had come for the festival. The girls made great photgraphic subjects and as we always do, we showed them the digital pictures we had taken. They were fascinated and excitedly dragged us over to their mother and aunties washing at the tank to show them the photos and then they were all clambering to be in the next shot. It was pretty cute as they don't really smile but rather look forward in a very controlled and serious pose! Before we knew it we'd had requests to "make copy" and found oursleves ordering prints from the local lab!! The family expressed their gratitude by inviting us to stay at their family home in a small village about 4 hours away, but regretfully we didn't have the time to spare given that we'd spent ten days at Om/Gokarna instead of our anticipated 2!!

Our time there was a truly magical experience, one that will be etched in our minds forever and we were lucky to enjoy the company of fabulous people whilst there.

Note: Our blog is way behind (we've since been to Hampi and are heading on to Mumbai tonight). We've been having major technical difficulties (as in the internet is either non existent or painfully slow) so will update at the next chance we get!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

All the colours of the rainbowAll the colours of the rainbow
All the colours of the rainbow

and then some! Tikka powder
Heave!Heave!
Heave!

Pulling on the ropes of the chariot


24th February 2007

Great photos
I love your pics!
26th February 2007

helloooooooooo
Sorry I have been slack with writing. The photos and colours are absolutely amazing. Talk soon xxxxxx
26th February 2007

The price of Bannanas has at last gone down.
Hi guys, that was a great travel story. Was at Adams on Saturday to celebrate is Birthday. I think he got trashed. Smokey is running wild on the roofs of my place. he has made friend with a cute feral from the pub. Went for an early morning walk this morning and Suz it is a bit lonely without a buddy. But I did it..At last you can get Bannans for $1.99a kilo in melb. but is has taken a long time. Enjoy your trek. Sally
27th February 2007

Monkey vs. man
come on suz,you can do better than that !
27th February 2007

Non PC
ok ... Monkey vs. woman ...
27th February 2007

ThankS! It was a few days later that we noticed a bit of hardened banana sludge wedged on the flash! But I guess that's what you get for being in the thick of it!

Tot: 0.367s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 34; qc: 156; dbt: 0.1766s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb