Part 5 - Tibetan Settlement


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Coorg
December 16th 2008
Published: December 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Chanting-singing-music practice 50 secs
The last stop of the journey was Bylakuppe, a Tibetan settlement “camp” consisting of several villages and a monastery with at least 5,000 monks. This is the largest Tibetan settlement (total population >15,000) outside the homeland, settled since the late 1960s. India gave the land to the Tibetans; if you want to stay the night, you have to get documentary permission from the Tibetan Government in Exile.

We just went for a couple of hours to see the amazing temples, shop around a bit, and eat (of course). It was a bit of a random immersion experience, between the Chinese food, Chinese trinkets for sale, young monks playing hackey-sack, singing or music or chanting practice, some western dread-locked hippies hanging around in seeming-meditation, and the ubiquitous Indian auto-rickshaw drivers calling "Rickshaw, Madam?"

At what appeared to be a ceremonial break in the singing/chanting/music-playing (see video), while the participants organized their chanting/singing pages, one monk rinsed his fingers in a small bowl of water, then burned incense, then re-arranged the ornaments on what I assumed to be a prayer mantel, and then passed a large bowl around to let each of the participants select a cadbury's chocolate bar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb