Unplugged ...uggh!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Bangalore
July 27th 2008
Published: August 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lack of internet and cell phone access finally got to me today. My sis-in-law’s house has one dial-up DSL connection, but it’s where constant kid interruptions are unavoidable, and not conducive to getting anything done. Internet cafes were either out of business or their systems weren’t working. Topping things off, some of the emails I managed to spin out, in between my nephew’s barrage of questions and his irresistible plays for attention, seem to have disappeared. Urghh!

Buying cell phones requires passport photos, proof of address, and registration with the state. Most people working in retail here speak some English, but the accent is so thick that they might be speaking Hindi and we wouldn’t know. Thus, navigating the bureaucracy of a cell phone purchase wasn’t something we felt we could take on right away. And, our US phones were spotty and expensive ($2.50/min). Unplugged, disconnected, and unhappy with my realization of my wired-in dependency, and so far today, unable to “shift” out of that crabbiness.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb