A Hampi-ng good time


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Bangalore
February 12th 2008
Published: February 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Oh dear oh dear, I really must apologise for the rubbish titles of these blogs. It just doesn't seem right if they're not as ultra-cheesey as possible.

So anyway, this will be a reasonably quick one as this internet cafe STINKS of sweat. I think I'll be outta here asap.

Hampi was bloody AMAZING- I will upload some pictures as soon as I've got them off my camera, though they could never do it justice. I can honestly say I've never seen anywhere quite like it- not even after two trips to New Zealand. The landscape will knock you backwards: dramatic piles of red boulders tall as mountains, as far as the eye can see, with a great clear river and lush green palm trees and paddy fields in between. It is the rock climber's/ trials rider's paradise. What it's really famous for is being an ancient Hindu religious site, and there is a 15 mile area full to bursting with 16th century temples, homes and bizarres- some of which are still in use today. Very touristy of course, but so very worth the 7 hour train journey. Though I am feeling a little bit temple-d out now. The best way was to get around on bike, which were a steal at Rs40 per day (50p) though Paul's been pretty ill over the last few days so rather than the motivated, cultural experience it ought to have been it involved Jodie and me pushing the things up hills and stopping for ice-creams and fag breaks at pretty regular intervals. Haha.
Probably the craziest thing was getting the rickshaw back to the train station in Hospet- about 30mins journey away. The place is archetypal India- just as you ever imagined it- people selling fruit from shacks, cows with bells on (literally!) pulling carts piled high with children, chickens and families on their way to god knows where, groups of men sitting on walls playing dice, silk sellers, old swamis in their loin cloths, children in the roads, stray dogs, monkeys, people pooing in the street, people burning incense, people doing their washing- people people people! It was this insane hive of activity and it was about 8:00 in the evening. I must say it was terrifying and the view from the rickshaw was enough, but I hope I keep that mental image with me forever. It was simply indescribably- another world altogether, and not one that many westerners could easily become a part of.

We've now moved on from Hampi and are in the Karnatakan state capital of Bangalore- and it's a wee bit mental! The first place we've seen McDonalds and we even had a pizza hut this afternoon! Apparently this is where all the call centres are- so it's one of the wealthiest cities in India and is very modern with it. Not surprisingly though- there is no beef in the Maccy D's (what's the point?).

It's nice to feel like I'm in the REAL India now- not just a place kitted out for tourists. It's intimidating and exciting, and just the strangest thing to stand out so much and be such a noticable (and they take notice) minority. Although it's scary I must admit I've not yet felt that I'm in any danger- not once. For every person who wants to rip you off (rickshaw drivers) there's someone who'll see you looking lost and just wonder over and help you- for nothing more than the price of a smile. I'm starting to understand the love it/hate it thing now. Nothing is easy, but yet everything is. The people are either extremely helpful, kind and polite; or extremely rude and condescending (our hotel manager here- power trip we reckon). You absolutely hate the men who leer at you in the street, but if you get into trouble, it'll be one of them who'll come over and explain the (bizarre) bus system and make sure you're headed in the right direction. There doesn't seem to be any half-way really... crazy. But no matter how poor, dirty or often disgusting it is here (and it is) there is just something about it. I know- that old cliche. But damn it's so true!

Will upload pics soon. Love to all xxxxx


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb