My First Day of "Class"


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Bangalore
September 10th 2007
Published: September 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today I saw a small girl urinating on the garbage pile behind her 5 by 5 ft. shack. We all broke into 3 groups for class and toured one of Bangalore's many slums. Our guide was Naazar and he led us to look at the place where this particular community put their garbage. The family allowed us to look inside their home as long as we removed our shoes. Their dignity honestly surprised me . Naazar explained that this home was one of the most temporary housing set-ups. The police may come tomorrow, next year, or even in 10 minutes and force this family to leave, he explained. A student in the group asked if they were given enough time to pack up their belongings. Naazar just stared at him blankly. They didn't own anything.

Everyone in the slum smiled or waved at us. Random adults and children came up to us and introduced themselves, asking our names. They asked Naazar if we were here to "do good things for India."

After we loaded the bus, we were driven directly to one of Bangalore's largest and nicest shopping malls. We were told we had an hour before loading on the bus again, although we weren't told why this particular stop was a part of class. My roommate and I thought we would take advantage of the restroom facilities as long as they were available. The bathroom was very nice. Toilet paper, soap, paper towels: these items have been few and far between at our many toilet stops so far in India. There was an attendant in the restroom that we tipped and she honestly had the most genuine smile on her face.

It occurred to me later that this woman more then likely lives in a slum. The individual whose job it was to refill the toilet paper dispenser is probably one of the very few people in that enormous building that does not have a toilet in her home.

In the evening we drove to an activist meeting where individuals from various NGOs in Bangalore commune together and learn about new issues to get involved in. We watched a documentary about how the government is taking coastline away from fisherpeople so they can build resorts and shopping centers. They are taking away the livelihood of the fisherpeople and giving them nothing in return. And who is the Indian government selling the land to? Companies from the West. From the United States.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb