Trains, politicians and more art


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Shimla
October 23rd 2017
Published: October 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

This morning's adventure was a two hour train trip on the famous Shimla railway line. It was built by the British in 18 something so they could come up here from Delhi in the heat of summer and drink gin and frolic. It is called a toy train for some reason - perhaps because of the narrow 2'6" gauge (and average gradient of 3% for the train spotters) but it is a fully functional passenger line that runs between Shimla and Kalka everyday. We only went as far as Khandaghat, about half way.

The seats were firm, but with some padding, and the views were great however it was hard to get many good photos because of the trees that zipped past.

This afternoon we explored The Mall, an area at the top of Shimla that is closed to traffic unless you have a postal van or are a politician. There were a number of politicians and their entourages about and we met the local Congress candidate in a bookshop. I don't think he was used of forthright women asking him what he was going to do for the bookshop owner if he were elected.

This area has very British architecture, including a couple of churches and a band rotunda. However everything else is reassuringly Indian. There was an art exhibition at the town hall and the artist, a young girl, in her final year at school took me around personally. She was charming. The piece that I wanted to buy was already sold. She offered to do me anther and send it to me and then said 'no, take this one.' The person buying it was a local, they would get the replica!

Right, time to go out for a gin and dinner. Too cold for much frolicking though.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb