Mcleod Ganj


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Mcleod Ganj
September 3rd 2011
Published: September 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

So Mcleod has come and about to go too. Have spent a few days up here which have been very enjoying. Met some good people, yet again, and also done some interesting stuff like seeing THE Dalai Lama in person at a speach he gave here at his residence in Mcelod Ganj. Had to get up at the crack of dawn to get there in time and register to get in to the speach at 9am but it was worth seeing him.

I've also explored the area and nearby areas by foot, a pleasant walk a few kms away up to nearby Bhagsu to view an amazing waterfall gushing down the steep mountain side. On the way i passed several mountain goats like billy goat gruff as well as monkeys, horses and more cows. The streets by the way are slightly cleaner up here for some reason, they obviously are paying closer attention to cleanliness which is nice. Very much appreciated by the foreigners here! I also went up to another nearby village, Dharamkot by foot through misty pine forests. All very calm and mystical, except the good thing was that day i listened to my ipod for the first time, full blast, and loved the tunes banging in my ears! I thoroughly enjoy the power walk and exercise up the steep hills.

Yesterday i walked up to the Dal Lake with a small group of friends and the aim was to go help out volunteering at the tibetan childrens refugee camp up there, however to our disappointment once we did the 4km walk up was that it was a bank holiday here and therefore children did not have classes. We did handover the gifts we had brought up for them such as pens, note books and many sweets which they all loved. We did manage to chat to some of them and watch them playing and one of our gang even shared a game of football with the boys. It was nice to see more or less where and how they live and ask questions about their learning and education experiences. Not to be forgotten were the crazy dogs we found up there, one extremely punky looking, vile teeth, only 3 legs, one front one missing and very angry looking teeth which he was showing us as we entered the grounds. He hadn't been on fire, but wasn't far from it!!!
All of this because we had two stray dogs that followed us up all the way from Mcleod and kind of kept us company. The only prob was that as we decided to leave the place and head back, having heard an almighty crack of thunder which felt like RIGHT above our heads, we had to dash and grab a nearby taxi as we almost got caught in the downpour. As we headed down the hill in the car we looked back and realised our two stray dogs where left behind wondering where we had gone to!! We only hoped they left enough messages on the tracks on the way up to remember where they came from and how to get back without us.

Anyway last few nights in Mcleod was spent at the Carpe Diam. A must as this cute place with good music and a sitting down with no shoes little corner has some good clay oven pizzas and beers and that was good enough. We sang along to hey jude and a few others and the place was packed out and great atmosphere. Luckily i made it back to the guest house just about 11.59pm in time for lock up at midnight. No chance of me being out till all hours here, as no alcohol apart from kingfisher, which i have had a few of only cause there is nothing else!!!! and got my curfue on at the guesthouse so if i don't get back then hey ho, i will be on the streets, so rather have my bed to sleep in, albeit slightly damp in this monsoony period. Anyway, i have come to the conclusion that i rather slight dampness than bed bugs, can you believe what i am compromising with these days!!
Anyway to cut a long story short, i am going to meet a friend for a leisurely last breakfast and hang out for the rest of the day until i catch a mini bus over night from here down to Manali for a few days. The plan is then to head up by road, .....i know, yes by road, the amighty road, for those who know, from Manali to Leh over 2 days and spend my last week in Leh and trekking in that area. Well, that is the plan as i have it in my head and heart right now. Everything could change, weather makes huge difference and all that is to be checked out once we arrive in Manali. We will make the next plans from there, but only once we have checked out the waterfall which everyone raves about up near the village where we will stay in Vashistht.
Will report again soon, but for now, i'm offski to enjoy what's left here. by the way just thought i'd mention there is a guy sitting a few seating in this internet cafe who looks like he is Jesus!!!!!!! seriously!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb