The Far North, part 1


Advertisement
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Manali
October 27th 2009
Published: October 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

As well as, obviously, the time to write this blog and prune out the photos, I just spent about two-and-a-half hours trying to upload the photos and save the text, but every time Travelblog ate half of the comments and put the photos out of order. Then it ate my whole blog. So the photos are all out of order, you can probably work out where they should go, it should be Delhi -> Road to Manali -... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 67, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Manali-Leh "Highway"Manali-Leh "Highway"
Manali-Leh "Highway"

unfortunately the other guy wasn't as good a photographer as me so I got good photos of him but only this crappy photo of me. This is at Taglangla pass, supposedly the second-highest pass in the world. "YOU ARE PASSING THROUGH SECOND HIGHEST PASS OF THE WORLD. UNBELIEVABLE IS NOT IT?" says the sign (5328 metres above sea level)
LehLeh
Leh

entry to Leh
Manali-Leh "Highway"Manali-Leh "Highway"
Manali-Leh "Highway"

this photo is out of order but because my camera named it wrong not because of Travelblog's stupidity



13th January 2010

Very Good Blog
Hi,It's been nice reading your blog.
3rd March 2010

Hating to agree
I read your blog just before going to Manali and was a little dissapointed that you had so many unpleasant things to say about your trip [people centric experiences]. I have recently visited and returned and have come back to comment because I felt exactly the same way in North India. The constant pushyness and the not-so-clever ways to conning people were pitiful. The natural beauty actually takes a back seat as the people there make your holiday such an unpleasant episode. Although after a certain horrible mistake we realised that we would do exactly the opposite of what we were suggested and ended up having a great time. I just wanted to come and say that please don't think that all of India is like this. The southern part of the county is very different. Here people are not very street smart but are very warm and generous. No one imposes their products and services on you and they are not friendly only with the expectation of monetory compensation. {of course I'm grossly generalising - there are exceptions everywhere} Also unfortunately India still remains an inately racist country - therefore a White man will be hounded by everyone as for some reason we all seem to think rich white man has dollars spilling from his pockets. I'm very glad that you stuck to your guns and didn't really allow people to take you for a ride..but do visit India again [the southern part primarily] and notice the vast difference in the culture and attitudes. Shruti - I'm also from the north originally but have moved to the South and love it here. Thus the suggestion.
9th March 2010

Thanks Shruti, I probably should have spent more time in the South. I don't exactly remember what I wrote in this blog, it was a while ago, but once I got up to Ladakh I remember that I enjoyed myself there. The scenery in the North is great, but Manali is full of Indian tourists so it's good to get up further. What you say about white men is true anywhere in Asia. Of course there is some truth to the fact that we might in absolute terms have more money than many people on the street, but what annoys me is the way that they're driving tourists away, therefore making things worse for themselves and their country in the long run. But one has to get used to that. Thanks for your comment anyway!

Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 54; dbt: 0.09s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb