Rolling in - to Manali


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Manali
June 13th 2005
Published: September 7th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Pretty plantPretty plantPretty plant

Is this part of the mint family?
When we reached Manali it was about 10-30pm and we had to tag on to a queue of traffic waiting to get over the one little bridge. After about 40 mins (and one hit and run later - not by our jeep, and the bloke was OK) we decided to get out and walk. We didn't say anything to the jeep driver as we left, by now he was best left well alone - and whatever was to be said wouldn't have been good.

To cut a long story short - Manali town wasn't nice (Indian Blackpool on speed). We followed the guide book and went to Vashisht which was about 3 km back along the road (where we'd got out of the bloody jeep!).

Vashisht was nice although it was heaving with stoned Israeli's. Now to be fair - Israeli's seem to be nice enough people but it's hard to say as they weren't feeling too conversational at the time. The valley itself is a paradise with tree lined sides, a river torrenting through the middle and waterfalls cascading down the sides. The best description that came to mind was paradise hijacked by the tourists.

The whole
More mint?More mint?More mint?

Don't walk on the grass.
place is set up well for the young 'relaxed' traveller. Internet, bars, good food - our hotel had a restaurant which played two movies a night where you could sit around on soft cushions 'chillin'. It was very hard to leave!

Two weeks later we forced ourselves out of Vashisht and set about the task of travelling once again.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

It's a  valleyIt's a  valley
It's a valley

Well it is isn't it
Big waterfall!Big waterfall!
Big waterfall!

You know we've got to get across it!
Made it!Made it!
Made it!

If you think Mark's wet you should have seen Gill (the photo was too unflattering to post)


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb