Chamba, Champavati Temple


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Chamba Valley
April 28th 2006
Published: April 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Chamba,  Champavati TempleChamba,  Champavati TempleChamba, Champavati Temple

The temple of goddess Champavati
Chamba, Champavati Temple

The temple of goddess Champavati is shikhara style stands near the royal place and the tradition holds it that this temple was made in the name of Raja Sahil Verman's daughter Champavati. Champavati was of religious disposition and used to visit sadhu's place, the site of the present temple. The Raja grew suspicious of her going to sadhu, so he followed her one day with dagger drawn in his hand. But when he reached sadhu's places, he found neither sadhu nor his daughter there. A voice however came from the stillness upbraiding him from his suspicion and saying that his daughter has been taken away from his as punishment. He was further commanded to construct a temple in her memory to atone for his sin and to avert calamity to his family. The temple was accordingly built and named after the king's daughter, who is worshipped as goddess. The presiding deity in the temple is the goddess Mahishasuramardini, a form of Durga, whose image remains installed in the temple. In the courtyard of this temple there is a small shrine housing the image of Vasuki Naga and Wazir.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb