Chamba (A hidden Diamond)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Chamba Valley
April 28th 2006
Published: April 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Brejreshvari Temple, Chamba Brejreshvari Temple, Chamba Brejreshvari Temple, Chamba

Brejreshvari Temple, Chamba is one of the mosr popullar temple of Chamba it is built in 920 AD during the time of Raja Shail Verman.
Brejreshvari Temple, Chamba (H.P)


This temple is also of shikhara style built in stone at the entrance of Sarota outside the town dedicated to goddess Vajreshwari. It is known for its fine sculpture. It is believed to have been erected in eleventh century A.D. There is a short tree-line inscription carved on one of the two pillars in front of the entrance of the shrine. There are eighteen brief one-line epigraphs on the outer walls of the temple. An inscription on the pillar records that on the 17th day of Asadh 1992, the work was started in the temple. This work evidently refers to the repairs of renovation of the temple which was probably carried out during the reign of Udai Singh.

At the entrance gate there are two dvarpalas standing with staff held in their hands. In the niches to the exterior of the temple the images of four-armed Durga seated on a lion and Vishnu in Vaikuntha form three faces-human, boar and lion-are depicted. The temple pillars are beautifully carved depicting various deities on them.

The temple has a stone image of Mahishasuramardini, a form of Durga standing in alidha posture, placing her right
Brejreshvari Temple, Chamba Brejreshvari Temple, Chamba Brejreshvari Temple, Chamba

Inside View of Temple where Brejreshwari ji and her sister are there
foot over the asura emerging out of the buffaloes in human form carrying a sword and shield. The trident of the goddess held in the her right hand is shown pierced into asura's body. The goddess has eight arms. In her right hands she holds a trident, an arrow and chakra, while in her left hands she holds a shield, a bow and the tuft of the asura standing to the left. The fourth hand is broken. The image is not of great antiquity, but could be assigned to a date around 15-16th century A.D.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Brejreshvari Temple, Chamba Brejreshvari Temple, Chamba
Brejreshvari Temple, Chamba

Inside View of Temple where Brejreshwari ji and her sister are there
Brejreshvari Temple, Chamba Brejreshvari Temple, Chamba
Brejreshvari Temple, Chamba

View of a Road from Brejreshwari temple.


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb