Famous Forts and Palaces of Gujarat


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Gujarat
May 10th 2018
Published: May 10th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Gujarat is attaining the few colours of Rajasthan in every sense and its architectural marvels are one of them. Living in the shadow of Rajasthan, Gujarat’s forts and palaces are not so much famous but worth visiting. From the dry and warm regions of Kutch to the lush green regions of South Gujarat, Gujarat has a number of palaces that reflects the old living style of Gujarati people.

To know about the famous palaces of Gujarat, read the below article:

Aina Mahal, Bhuj

The name Aina stands for mirrors and Aina Mahal was famous for its hall of Mirrors. The famous thing about Aina Mahal is that it is richly tiled and walls are covered with marble. And the most important things is its mirrors and ornaments used inside the hall. A grand chandelier is hanging in the hall and it is said to be made of popular Venetian crystal.

The Huzoor Palace, Porbandar

The Gondal Huzoor palace still houses the royals of Gujarat and it presents a great picture of the old times. The doors of this palace are bricked up and nobody can go inside. The descendants of Rana Natwar Singh JI, the last Maharaja of Porbandar is now residing in the city of London and the Huzoor Palace is like an abandoned palace.

Prag Mahal, Bhuj

Famous for its European Italian Gothic Styled architecture, Prag Mahal is located close to the Aina Mahal and it looks like a Grand Palace. Built in the 19th century by Rao Pragmalji, the Prag hall has a large hall with a royal collection of stuffed animals and a Royal Darbar Hall. One of the noticed attraction is the pillars of this palace as they are made up of Corinthian Style and stone filigree work.

Art Deco Palace, Morbi

Well known for its time pieces, once it was a royal city and it was built between 1931 and 1944 AD in the European styled architecture. Granite is used to form the tough structure of this palace and it looks like the Charles Holden Underground Station in London. Six drawing rooms, six dining rooms, and fourteen bedrooms are built inside this Palace.

Vijay Vilas Palace, Mandvi

Once a busy port, Vijay Vilas Palace was built around 1920 AD by Yuvraj Vijay Singh of Palitana. The palace was built in Rajputana style with rich carvings on the stone pillars. The architectural style is very similar to the palaces of Datia and Orchha with high domes in centre of this Palace. Water channels and marble fountains look great in front of this Palace.

Ranjit Vilas Palace, Wankaner, Rajkot

Perched on a hill, Ranjit Vilas Palace was built in the year of 1907 by Amar Singh Ji. The palace got its name from Jam Ranjit Singh Ji of Jamnagar who was a global famous cricketer. The palace is beautiful and royal with its structure. Now, it has been declared as a museum, it houses a collection of thrones, paintings, spears, pistons, and stuffed animals.

Laxmi Vilas Palace, Vadodara

The grandest palace of Gujarat and one which can compete with the royal palaces of Rajasthan, Laxmi Vilas Palace is modelled on the Indo Saracenic style and it was built by Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III in 1890. The palace gives a tough competition in looks to the famous Buckingham Palace in London. It is four times bigger than Buckingham Palace and considered the largest every palace built by any ruler in the history.

Those who are seeking some royalty with spirituality and adventures, Gujarat has numbers of palaces to offer them. People who are history buffs and love to spend some time exploring the historical palaces can book Gujarat Tour Packages.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0834s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb