"My Life is my Message"-M.K.Gandhi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Gujarat » Ahmedabad
March 30th 2007
Published: March 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mumbai to Ahmedabad


Father of the NationFather of the NationFather of the Nation

Gandhi's Ashram in Ahmedabad

Mumbai to Ahmedabad
Sion and Niki
Well, the "City of Dust' certainly lives up to its name, its hot, dusty, frantic....but very friendly.

They obviously don't get many tourists in Gujarat because everyone wants to meet us, shake our hands and follow us around town...you can't shake them off! We even had two little school boys ask for our autographs today. Its very flattering, but a bit exhausting saying hello to every man, woman, child, cow, donkey, camel and rabid dog on the street. But, beware not to let your guard down too much, because whilst the people of Ahmedabad have a sweet side, it can turn nasty (think Chucky). On our first night we discovered that the beggar kids like to chase after you in hoardes pinching your arms, and throwing rocks at you, maybe they just think we're American.

We've been here for three days now (it doesn't feel like it, time is going so fast...what day is it?) and i think we've exhausted Ahmedabads tourist route, there's some mosques, some temples, some old city gates (not as spectcular as they make them out to be) and a couple of bridges. But it has been nice to relax after Bombay. Our dingy
Sion and NikiSion and NikiSion and Niki

An overly decadent couple indulging in Ahmedabad's finest cuisine atop of the House of Mangaldas, at the Agashiye restaurant.
hostel room has become quite a haven, the view of the tranquil gardens and mosque is incredibly relaxing, and by chance we managed to pick the only mosque in the whole city that doesn't have prayer broadast at 1000 decbels oer the loudspeakers every three hours, so if it wasn't for the heat and the mosquitoes, we might have a nice night's sleep.

The other awesome thing about Gujarat is its food..we have been indulging on delicious thali's (an all-you-can-eat vegetarian smorgasbord of dips, roti, chappati, rice, curries, sweets, ice-cream....and all the salted buttermilk you'd ever want...hmmm, not too sure about that one.)

We went to Sabarmati Ashram today, Gandhi's home for a majority of his poltical life, the launching pad for the great salt march of 1930 when Gandhi protested against the government monopoly on the salt industry. It's a very tranquil place, full of deeply thought-provoking and insightful quotes from the Mohatma's life.

It might seem like we haven't doen much in Ahmedabad, that's because we haven't. It's too fucking hot.

Anyhoo, off on another 9 hour train journey to Udaipur, the most romantic city in India (if we don't die of heat exhaustion).
Speak No Evil, See No Evil, Hear no EvilSpeak No Evil, See No Evil, Hear no EvilSpeak No Evil, See No Evil, Hear no Evil

I think these monkey guys are actually Chinese in origin, but they certainly embody Gandhi's doctrine of non-violence.
It is the start of our tour of Rajasthan, which should be amazing, so stay tuned. Also, let us know what you guys have been up to...we miss you! Also, tell Buddy he smells.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Sidi Bashir MosqueSidi Bashir Mosque
Sidi Bashir Mosque

The 21.3m high 'Shaking Minarets' at this mosque are believed to have been built to shake during earthquakes to protect against damage. An Englishman partially dismantled some nearby to see how they worked and tried to rebuild them. This one surived the 2001 earthquake, the Englishman's didn't.
Ahmed Shah's MosqueAhmed Shah's Mosque
Ahmed Shah's Mosque

The view from our hotel window, certainly makes up for the 5-star amenities. The mosque was built in 1414, the 'Ahmed' in Ahmed Shah is where the city gets its name from.
Oh Shit!Oh Shit!
Oh Shit!

Our lovely amenities...taken just moments before Niki dropped her bar of Body Shop soap down the hole.
Dada Hari WavDada Hari Wav
Dada Hari Wav

These marvellous well was built in 1501 by an unnamed woman (who cares anyway)of Sultan Begara's harem. The only place in Ahmedabad below 30 degrees.
Halo rickshaw!Halo rickshaw!
Halo rickshaw!

Ahmedabad's primary mode of transport, this doesn't mean they're the safest. The driver's can't wait to try and pick you up, but once you actually get in one, they haven't the faintest clue how to get to where you want to go.
Weeee!!!Weeee!!!
Weeee!!!

The overly friendly Gujarati people insisted I try out the hottest new attraction in town, the swing.
Cheeky little bastardsCheeky little bastards
Cheeky little bastards

The kids of Ahmedabad are adorable and friendly, except for the ones that pinch you and throw rocks at you.


30th March 2007

Hurro
Hey Sion - glad to see you guys are having fun.... wanna detour to sri lanka and find my mum?? lolz. Take care and try not to get into dodgey taxis, check the brakes for rock mechanics.... :-)
30th March 2007

Anyone seen my bike?
The pic of all the bikes captures the total 'too much-ness' of India and with affection!
30th March 2007

Roger Moore
Hey guys, well done on getting around Ahmedabad. It is a city I have ionly ever passed through. Love the photos, love the stories. Keep it up and make sure you watch Octopussy when you're in Udaipur!
31st March 2007

Edifying Toilet Pans of the Developing World
I would like your permission to use your most fascinating pic of the squat toilet in my new book 'Edifying Toilet Pans of the Developing World'. I have another one from Jaipur with an 8 year old Sion demonstrating a Jaipur toilet which you may wish to include on your blog.
1st April 2007

LOVE THE BLOG!
My spunky mates, what an awsome adventure! the bit about the soap falling down the hole, really made me laugh!! i could just imagine the look on poor lil nikis face!! you both look so well, its good to know your enjoying the fine dining, i imagine it really keeps u regular. does it ever cool down so that u can cuddle up at night? cant wait to hear nikis banjo skills when she gets home, she aughta be a real pro by then! i miss u desperately. yes im jealous. but inspired. you deserve all the best of luck and whateva doesnt kill u can only make you stronger! keep up the detailed reporting, its a blast to see you both smiling. much love!!! sista Billie xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxxoxoxoxoxoxo
3rd April 2007

Sweeeeet...
Sounds good y'all... I have nothing of a personal nature to say... I'm still waiting for Tom to find a place. I figured I'd help out by looking on the net.
3rd April 2007

dusty splendor
Dear Niki hope you have recovered fromthe lost soap. You still look great on a swing.I am envious of the food and the wonderful view over the mosque garden, Missing you both and waiting as always for the next instalement in this great holiday. Love mum

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb