Old Goa and a Spicy Walk ATD


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa
January 2nd 2009
Published: February 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Bom JesusBom JesusBom Jesus

The interior of Bom Jesus in Old Goa where the incorrupt body of St Francis Xavier is kept.
We put our sight-seeing hats back on today and once again headed north, this time towards the ruins of Old Goa. The first building we saw was the church of Bom Jesus. It looks like a relic of the industrial revolution from the outside, but is majestically adorned inside. Across the road is another large Church, where the patron saint of Goa, Saint Xavier’s body lies to this day. The corpse is morbidly preserved in a glass coffin sitting atop a platform on which numerous prayer candles burn. Upstairs there was an art exhibition detailing the incredible life journey of the saint, who travelled much of Asia trying to spread the faith. Quickly tiring of old musty churches, we decided on seeing something more animate and journeyed into the jungle to try and find a Spice Garden. Just when we thought we were hopelessly lost we came upon our destination, marked by a majestic elephant wandering the car park. Anabelle could scarcely believe her eyes. The garden was not to disappoint. We saw vanilla, cashew, banana, pineapple, cardamon, nutmeg, wild coriander and Peri-Peri chili all growing amongst the swaying palms. One amazing sight was one local man gracefully scaling the palms to cut things down from surrounding trees. I was fascinated by the story of nutmeg trees, which require a male and female of the species to grow alongside each other to produce fruit.
The way into the actual plantation itself from the car park leads one over a snake and catfish infested, murky colored river, on a rackety old wooden bridge that at some points misses some wooden planks, so it’s a real challenge getting across! We were greeted with flower garlands and led into a cozy wood and bamboo open air restaurant overlooking the river where we had a nice lunch on banana leaves. Anabelle particularly enjoyed feeding the scary looking, whisker clad catfish some of her papad!
The tour around the plantation was really interesting and I for the first time saw where Pineapples come from, something I had wandered about for years. Andrew was particularly fascinated with the Aloe Vera plant and bought himself a whole tub of the jelly type stuff! We ended our tour of the spice garden by having a big bowl of icy cold water poured down our backs, a tradition apparently in Goa! We where compensated for that unpleasant experience with a
Spice PlantationSpice PlantationSpice Plantation

Cutting fruit of the trees
coconut shell full of fenny a bitter and very strong alcoholic drink. (ABD)
On the way back to Benaulim I had my first driving experience. Much more overtaking and beeping is required than on Australian roads. Unfortunately Alexia felt sick and went to bed early. I headed down the beach and enjoyed another Goan sunset with Tim, Bek and Adam and Belle.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

...in awe......in awe...
...in awe...

At the Spice Plantation


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb