Day 3 : Assolna to Netravali


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Ponda
December 19th 2009
Published: January 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today was a 40 km drive to Netravali, in the Kali river basin forests. As the drive was through forested area, the sun was not going to be a major problem today but still we decided to leave early as it is always the best time to start the journey. And within a few km, we were rewarded for our efforts of getting out of bed early. The sun rose magnificently from behind the small distant hills with the numerous coconut palms completing the picture perfect sunrise that almost every kid draws in school. A part of the drive was through the infamous mining area. But it was 19th December, Goa's liberation day and hence the truck traffic was pretty light making it a beautiful and comfortable ride to the Netravali base camp. This is without any doubt the best camp of the expedition. The camp is located in the Tanshikar's 100 acres spice farms. There are tall slender spice trees irrigated by small chutes with small, very aesthetically designed wooden bridges. There are a couple of double bedrooms and tents with attached toilet-bath and a shower ! It is a perfect weekend getaway (Double bed rooms Rs. 500/-. Contact Chinmay Tanshikar 09421184114, tanshikarsf@rediffmail.com).

We relaxed for a bit and headed for Savarde falls (Do not miss this !). A 5 km drive to the trail head and 30 min hike will take you the beautiful Savarde falls. The trail to the falls criss-crosses a stream through a quiet dense Jungle. The trail was isolated and we expected to have the falls all to ourselves. But we could not be more wrong. The holiday which worked our way this morning spoiled out the fun for us at the falls. There were hordes of mostly middle aged guys with liberal bellies balancing their whisky pegs and munching the chicken lolipops celebrating the liberation day. Ignoring them, we jumped into water, surprisingly chilling, and a perfect remedy for our exhausted bodies. Swim the small pond at the base to reach the waterfall. Enjoy the hammering blow of gushing water on your head or back and that makes the day for you. Back at the camp, we were treated with hot vadas and tea. The dinner was also one of the best on the trip. Typical Goan food of Dal, Kadhi and Aaalo chi bhaji (Colocasia or Taro leaves). We slept peacefully.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0616s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb