Goa (India for Beginners)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Patnem
March 1st 2011
Published: March 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

OK guys India is getting easier! If Bangalore was the deep end (and maybe Kerala was us starting to enter shallower waters) then in Goa we have definately found the kids paddling pool! We have arrived in the land of sun kissed beaches, chilled out bars and restaurants serving up some of the freshest seafood your nervous Delhi-Belly could ever have wished for. And if that ain't chilled out enough then throw in a large handful of ageing Brit hippies who still fancy themselves as "philosophers", "poets" and "musicians".

Not that it was so easy to reach this laid back paradise. A soul destroying 14 hour over night train journey with the usual Indian public transport freebies (a urine based diet for your nostrils and a complimentary chest infection). Saying that the grub, as per usual, was magic and the overall experience insanely affordable yet completely priceless.

Once we finally arrived in the Goan city of Margao, we decided to hop on a bus and head an hour South to the slow paced beaches of Palolam and Patnem. After getting chatting to arguably the biggest space cadet Englishman to have ever reached these shores (the guy was making his
Our Flash Pad up to GoaOur Flash Pad up to GoaOur Flash Pad up to Goa

So Naive At This Point - The Next 14 hours Were Dire!
way round the country on a guidebook printed in 1994...) we agreed to split the cost of a taxi to the quiet end of Patnem and settle into our amazingly cheap beach hut - just 4 quid a night!

To be honest the next 5 days followed the same pattern as probably 99% of other beach holidays would. The only exception being Mr space cadet moaning every five minutes that the bar he went to was now closed and that the prices seemed to have quadrupled. In fact I guess sharing our tiny room with a rather suspect looking frog wasn't much part of the plans... and I don't suppose Claire envisaged getting shat on by a seagull with food poisoning either. Not that I remember complaing too much about the last event when I was rolling about the sand laughing!

So all in all a nice relaxing week to recharge our batteries after a testing start to our Indian adventure. Claire loved the sun, I loved the waves, we both loved the tasty grub that arrived at our table each night. Man the mighty Mumbai is going to be a change of pace!

James and Claire x




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Our RoomyOur Roomy
Our Roomy

Kept Turning Up On Our Toilet Seat Each Night!


Tot: 0.294s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 58; dbt: 0.2277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb